Help! DE filter continues to have high pressure.

pmpowell

Gold Supporter
Nov 20, 2010
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
I have an inground pool with Pentair DE filter. The pressure is registering very high. I forget the exact reading now, but it's about 10 lbs over what I would normally allow it to get to before backwashing or deep cleaning by taking the filter apart, so quite high. Everything I normally do doesn't help. Backwashing didn't help, so I took the filter apart and did a deep clean taking all the grids out. This also didn't help. Next I followed advice I found online and soaked the grids in TPS cleaner and ?? something acid. That didn't help. I noticed what looked like a small crack on the manifold so I replaced it. That didn't help. I replaced the pressure guage. That didn't help. What next? I hate to spend $200 replacing grids, especially if that also doesn't help. any advice for me would be deeply appreciated. Thanks.

Are you sure the restriction causing the higher pressure is in the filter not a clog somewhere downstream in your plumbing?

I'm not sure, but I don't think so. When I start the pump I can look back at the pool and see literally big splashes of water as the water starts coming through the jets. That would mean no clog, right?

Does the pressure start out low after cleaning the filters and then rise quickly? Or is it just high immediately after cleaning the filters?

Thanks for the reply.

The pressure goes high immediately after cleaning.

:) just bumping this to the top. Sorry, I don't mean to be impatient. Just worried about my green pool and wondering if I should get those grids ordered. If anyone has any other suggestions I can try I'd love to hear them. Thanks a bunch.

Can you be more specific? Was it our instructions for cleaning the grids? What was the % of Muratic acid you used, if you did indeed use muratic acid?

I'm sorry, yes, I'll gladly give more detail. The instructions I used for cleaning the grids I believe were found on another poolforum which I happed to find while Googling. It was muratic acid that I used. First soaked in TSP for 3 hours or so, then in muratic acid/water for 3 hours. I used a gallon of muratic acid to about 20 gallons of water.

Thanks.

The grids should not be causing a problem. What is the pressure with no DE? What is the presure with DE? I have a pentair fnaplus 48 filter that is 8 years old. I've done many backwash cleanings and deep cleanings. I've also replaced grids (actually grid material only) using a product called gridsock. It is a great alternative to costly grid replacement. I put in 4 gridsocks last june and just did 2 other old grids last month. All gridsocks holding up awesome.

Link removed by moderator which was in violation of forum rules. jblizzle

The pressure without DE shoots up immediately to about 30. I have not added DE because something is obviously wrong and I turn the pump back off. I am afraid to allow it to run that high. (Maybe I shouldn't be?)

The grids are all less than three years old. (Replaced after I moved in to this house.) I noticed when I had the grids out that one or two felt like they were slightly broken on just the corner. I'm sure that's not a good thing, but could that be causing the problem? I felt like it was minor enough not to be a problem at the moment, but I could be wrong. It literally felt like only one top little rib thing was broken, and not the corner tip where the plastic is heavier, but one of the little bar things going across.

Oh, and the gridsocks look cool. Going there now to check them out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had to replace my grids, not because of the fabric, but because the plastic was breaking (likely due to previous owner ignorance). I am not sure how much those "socks" cost, but a set of 8 new grids is well under $150.

I've looked around. New grids for the filter I have run about $200. I just looked at the gridsock website and can get new covers for all for about $105. I suppose it depends on which filter a person has whether this would be a good choice or not. Also, they're shown on the website as being on sale right now almost 60% off. At regular price (if that truly ever is their regular price) they wouldn't be a bargain.

Hmmmm . . . . I don't remember. I would think I did, but I don't remember when I did it last. I will check on that tomorrow.
If baskets were, say full of leaves, which I've had happen before can that cause the pressure to increase? I've had it happen before and I seem to remember almost the opposite - a lack of pressure, or sort of intermittent water pressure.

Thanks. I'm fairly new to pool ownership. (Three years.) When I was looking earlier I couldn't tell which of these cheaper options would work with my filter.

I have no DE in the filter yet (because of the high pressure I turn everything back off immediately). Lack of DE wouldn't make the pressure stay high, would it? I don't recall in the past ever having this problem before adding DE. Would adding DE bring the pressure down? or make it go higher?

I've read other posts asking about potential blockages. When the pump starts I see large splashes of water in the pool coming from the jets. Wouldn't that indicate no blockage and no problem there?

Thanks so much for all the help. Just when I was getting comfortable and thought I had this pool thing all figured out, then this happened. :)

I had DE in, but the pressure got high. I backwashed like I normally do, then when that didn't help took the filter apart and completely cleaned the grids. After doing this I would normally start it back up and immediately add DE, but the pressure was still so high that instead I turned the motor back off, afraid to let it run with pressure that high.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.