New pool startup questions

Task

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 18, 2013
West Grove, PA
Ok, so I had a pool installed in the fall. Once construction was finished, the pool was covered up for the winter months. We're almost finished all the landscaping around the pool and we will be getting ready to open the pool for the summer in the next few weeks. I've got my TF-100 kit from in my basement. The pool was filled prior to putting the cover on and my pool guy winterized it after completing the installation. My pool company will also be opening the pool this year as they still haven't run the pump/filter yet. I have read through pool school a few times and I plan on going with the BBB method. I've been stocking up on bleach when I find it on sale or in bulk at Sam's club but I'm unsure as to how much I'm going to need to get me through the summer. I also don't know how much baking soda and borax I should grab to get me through my first summer. Any suggestions for a starting point?

My pool is 16'x32' vinyl. 8' - 3' deep. Approximately 22,000 gallons. I've got the pool calculator app to help me out. The cover is still on the pool so I haven't tested the water yet. Just trying to figure out what I should be buying to get me started for the summer.

Thanks.

What you will need in addition to the bleach is CYA, also called stabilizer and a couple gallons of Muriatic Acid to adjust your pH. Don't worry about the baking soda and borax for now. I'll let the experts here explain that.

Welcome to TFP

Welcome to TFP!

Before you buy anything, I would run a full suite of tests using your TF-100. It is possible that you may not need baking soda or borax for your pool. One of the reasons that we have stopped using the BBB reference in favor of TFPC (Trouble-Free Pool Care) is that many people had the impression that they had to use all three of the B's (Bleach, Baking Soda, & Borax) -OR- that you could only use these items. We recommend using only what is needed to maintain water clarity. For example, I have never had a need to use Borax ever and I use Baking Soda only about twice a year.

You will need chlorine (liquid bleach)...that's a given. However, I wouldn't keep more than a few week's supply on hand as bleach will degrade over time, especially if it is kept above room temperature. The one exeption is if your test results reveal the need to SLAM the pool. Then you will go through chlorine at a rapid rate. If that turns out to be the case, then I would continue stocking up. Otherwise, a few week's worth is fine. I would suggest just keeping on your shopping list throughout the summer so you can continue maintaining a few weeks supply, but with fresher bleach.

You may also need muriatic acid and CYA, but again...test first.

Would also suggest reading this: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Ok. So get started with the stabilizer and muriatic acid. Anything else I should grab to get started? I have ZERO experience with maintaining a pool so this is all new to me. Like I said, I've read through pool school a few times over the winter, but I'm pretty sure I need to read through it a few DOZEN more times. I feel like I'm lost and don't know where to begin. I guess I'll be in better shape once the cover comes off and I can test the water.

Welcome Task !
Like Bo said lets get some test results before we get out of hand buying things. When you post some test results we can help you out to get you headed in the right direction. Just make sure you run your pump for at least 30-60 min's before you take any tests ?
Do you know if they added anything to your pool water at all before they closed ? Hopefully they'll come out and open it up before the water gets above 60 degrees.
If you could put all your pool and equipment info in your sig it will help us help you better. Also add your location as that sometimes makes a difference on the advice you will get.
In the meantime keep reading in pool school !!

I'm going to call my pool installer tomorrow and try to get him out to pull the cover off and get everything open, hopefully in the next week or so. I kind of need to get it open early anyway because I still have to get my township out for final inspection (they wont come out until they can run the pump). I could be mistaken, but I believe they just added liquid chlorine to the pool before they covered it. They literally set the liner, filled they pool with a water truck, poured the concrete the next day and covered the pool a few days after that. As soon as I get them out to uncover the pool and run the pump, I'll test the water (hopefully the proper way) and post some results. I'll add everything to my signature when I get home from work and can check out my equipment for exact specs.
I live in West Grove, PA, about an hour or so south of you Jeff. One of my sergeant's lives in Elverson. So I kinda know where you are at.

spoke to my pool installer this morning. he is going to come out by the end of the week and get everything opened and up and running for me. added my info to my signature as well. getting excited for pool season. I'm going to open up my TF-100 this weekend and start learning how to test this water!!

The pool water was actually trucked in and I'm not exactly sure where it was trucked in from. Getting excited for my first summer with the pool even though it is going to be a learning experience for me. I'm ready for to go in. Too bad the weather is still too chilly.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well go ahead and test the tap water with the PH test and the TA test just for spits and grins. Save your reagents for the other tests for the actual use on the pool. The PH test is color comparison, give you a feel for that, the TA you look for a color change. Its similar to the FAS-DPD test where you are also looking for color change - so you'll get a feel for that one too. Don't bother on CYA cuz tap water doesn't have any.

Let the installer get the cover off and the water circulating. Maybe you could let him adjust pH. That's it. I wouldn't trust anyone else to do the chemicals but myself. Too often they just dump a load of powder in the pool to "shock" it, disregarding the preexisting levels. They might also use some sort of "opening kit" like this.

Got the cover off today. Had the pump running for the first time. There is still a bit of dirt and some small rock at the bottom of the pool from when they backfilled after construction in the fall. Hoping to get that cleaned out on my days off this week. Getting excited :D

a4u5a3eq.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- - - Updated - - -

I snapped that picture from my sons room before I left for work. Here are the before images.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/68109-New-Pool-Install?p=580842#post580842

Hey Task! Another PA'er from the SW over here! It's still cold!!! WHOA.... 20 degrees last night, I was running my pump so it wouldn't freeze my hoses.

Your pool looks sweet! Is that a tan liner?

Nice, its only been dipping down into the 40's over here on the SE side of the state. The liner is actually a pebble design with a blue mosaic design along the top of the liner. My installer tells me that once the dirt is cleaned up from the pool floor, the liner will actually make the water appear as a bright blue, similar to the way the ocean looks in the carribean. At least in theory that is what the liner pattern was designed to replicate.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.