Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: lower speed pump

1. Back To Top    #1

lower speed pump

I have a 16,000 gallon kidney-shaped pool, with jacuzzi tub overflowing into it. There is one return line to the tub and 3 to the pool. All lines are 2 inch, except from manifold (lines from skimmer, pool drain, tub drain) to pump and pump to filter where the line is 1.5 inches. The pump is a single speed 1 hp and the filter is a 24-inch sand filter. There is a heater as well that I never use. 14 cents per kWh in the second tier.

Okay, I was thinking to update my motor or pump/motor to something efficient and was thinking of a 2-speed type. When looking at the Whisperflo 1hp 2speed performance curve, I see that at 3450 rpm the pump can deliver the gpm for high heads quite well. However, to be energy efficient I have my eye on the lower speed (half of full speed), but the curves do not go above 20 feet of head. I assume that my effective head is perhaps double of 20 feet. If my assumption is correct, then the lower speed would never move my pool water. Is this a correct interpretation? Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: lower speed pump

Welcome to TFP!
    Head is a function of the speed that the water is flowing through the pipes...faster movement means more friction against the walls of the pipe. Your system may have 40' of head at high speed, but at low speed it would be much less. A good rule of thumb is half the flow rate of high speed for 1/4 the power usage.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Ah, okay, I forgot about that. So, if 40ft head at high speed, what is the rule of thumb for half the speed? Is it 1/4 as well?

4. Back To Top    #4

Ah, I didn't think about the head changing for different flow rates! So, is there a rule of thumb for calculating head by reducing speed? Is it 1/4 as well? That is, if 40 feet at high speed, would it be 10 at lower speed? If so, then I can see how this pump would work for me at half speed.

5. Back To Top    #5

Head follows pump affinity equations so 1/2 RPM = 1/2 Flow = 1/4 Head. So if normal head loss is 40' of head, low speed will be 10'.

Power actually flows the 1/8th rule but for a two speed pump, low speed loses 50% efficiency so in practice, the low speed of a two speed pump is about 1/4th the energy consumption.

Pump Affinity Equations:

GPM B = GPM A * (RPM B / RPM A)

Head B = Head A * (RPM B / RPM A) ^ 2

Hydraulic HP B = Hydraulic HP A * (RPM B / RPM A) ^ 3
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you very much for this information! Now, those plots make total sense to me!

7. Back To Top    #7

Since all my piping is 2-inch, except around the pump where it is 1.5 inch, does the 1.5 inch piping control my calculations - that is, is it like the weakest link defining the strength of a chain? Is it odd that there is 1.5 inch piping only in this one part of the system?

8. Back To Top    #8

Not exactly. The smaller pipe will just add as little more head loss.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

No. If you only have a little 1.5" pipe, then it only makes a small difference. The more 1.5" pipe the more of a difference it makes. If most of the system is 2" and you only have a foot or two of 1.5" pipe, then it only makes a tiny difference.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you!