Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me identify my motor replacement

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me identify my motor replacement

1. Pictures of my setup:

http://postimg.org/gallery/2hk9s4i4/

I'm looking to order the ecotech motor as replacement (link below). I need to know whether to order the c flange or the square flange. It's only 339 at http://www.hydropool.com/

http://www.hydropool.com/cgi-bin/hydro/search.html

2. I've bought the HAYWARD AQUARITE SWG and was going to connect it to the motor through a current relay switch and use the timer of the ecotech to drive everything. Will this work and if so what current relay do you guys recommend?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me identify my motor replacement

Its a 56J frame (round face) motor.

Pool Details: 25,440 Gal IG Vinyl 21x40 Mountain Pond (Graphex)
    Filter: Hayward Micro-Clear DE (48 Sq Ft)
    Pump: Hayward SP2603VSP VS Super Pump
    SWG: Circupool Si45
    Cleaner: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 820

3. Back To Top    #3

Looks like you answered your own question

I'm interested in how you plan to use the scotch timer to drive everything. Did you get the ezcom accessory?

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    Looks like you answered your own question
    I'm not sure what I answered?

I'm interested in how you plan to use the scotch timer to drive everything. Did you get the ezcom accessory?
    I was thinking a current relay switch would power up the SWG every time the the ecotech motor comes up.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks! I ordered the C Face with J Frame ...

Any suggestions on what current relay I should order?

6. Back To Top    #6

My mistake, I thought you were acamoto who started the thread. But yes, your motor is a 56j frame and you wanted the C face.

How do you plan to switch the relay on and off? The ecotech has a computer timer and doesn't use a manual timer.

7. Back To Top    #7

I plan to run my SWG using the flow switch it came with. I am going to look into a current relay. I found this http://www.crmagnetics.com/Products/CR-4395-P7.aspx it seems to be an all in one soultion.

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm getting the picture now. I thought the OP was trying to tie the relay into the ecotech's computer somehow, sort of like the green motors, that does have the option to control an accessory.

9. Back To Top    #9

How do you plan to switch the relay on and off? The ecotech has a computer timer and doesn't use a manual timer.
    Maybe I'm confused how this works. But I was going to have my manual timer always switched on and connected to the ecotech. I would then program the eco tech timer and use the eco tech motor to drive the relay. Then when the eco tech timer switches the ecotech motor on the relay should click in (because it is current activated) and switch on the SWG. Do I have it all wrong??

10. Back To Top    #10

I am confused on the EZ interface. The motor manual states " There is an RS-485 port on the side of the motor/control available for connection to an external controller. If an external controller is connected to this product, the user interface is no longer in control of the unit. The external controller takes precedence." And the EZinterface manual " OUT Relay is available as required to signal an external control for auxiliary load (for example, relay to a booster pump). This relay does not provide power to the external load, only a signal for switching power n an external circuit (9-24VAC/VDC, 200 mA Max). This output is “ON” when the motor speed is above 1600 RPM."

The interface is hooked up via the RJ45 port. When it is hooked up does it bypass the user interface? Or is the user interface bypassed only when an external controller is used?

If it is the latter, you can use the output of the EZ interface to switch a relay to power the SWG.

When you ues the EZ interface adapter it takes prescedent over the built in controller.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by acamato View Post
    OUT Relay is available as required to signal an external control for auxiliary load (for example, relay to a booster pump). This relay does not provide power to the external load, only a signal for switching power n an external circuit (9-24VAC/VDC, 200 mA Max). This output is “ON” when the motor speed is above 1600 RPM."
    That might be another option. But the simpler setup seems to be current driven relay. So the relay detects that current is being drawn (in other words the motor is spinning) and switches on which would in turn switch on the SWG. Just don't know which relay to buy.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by vinjvinj View Post
    Maybe I'm confused how this works. But I was going to have my manual timer always switched on and connected to the ecotech. I would then program the eco tech timer and use the eco tech motor to drive the relay. Then when the eco tech timer switches the ecotech motor on the relay should click in (because it is current activated) and switch on the SWG. Do I have it all wrong??
    I took my mechanical timer out of the circuit. The Ecotech does not have an output to signal a relay for the SWG. You maybe able to use the EZ interface to signal the relay. See my previous post about some confusion about the Ecotech EZ interface. Or you can use a current relay. A current relay will sense when the motor is drawing power and signal a relay to turn on thw SWG.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by acamato View Post
    I took my mechanical timer out of the circuit. The Ecotech does not have an output to signal a relay for the SWG. You maybe able to use the EZ interface to signal the relay.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
    That's why I was asking. I am planning to use a Raspberry Pi to control the motor and my solar panel valve. If I can wire the valve up to a relay that is switched by the ecotech, I'd look into that

14. Back To Top    #14

Looked at this older thread:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-Control-Relay

Very cool, but might be more effort than I was looking into put. One option is to keep my manual timer and just tie both the ecotech and swg to it.

15. Back To Top    #15

I don't think the ecotech will spin up when power is removed then applied. It didn't when I was installing it this weekend. To be fair tho, I didn't set the program yet.
    You might be able to use the ez interface ($120) connected to the motor, then connect a relay to the output on the ez interface to turn on the swg when the motor is turning faster than 1600 rpm.

16. Back To Top    #16

You might be able to use the ez interface ($120) connected to the motor, then connect a relay to the output on the ez interface to turn on the swg when the motor is turning faster than 1600 rpm.
    Thank you ver much. This will work. Any idea on what relay I should buy (I have the hayward aquarite SWG). This board is also nice when later on I want to add a raspberry pi since it allows you to control the custom user functions 1-4 as well.

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm planning on eventually tying a rPi into my system as well. I would look into a relay that can handle the voltage for the SWG. I'm guessing that's 110v? Or 230v?

I would email US Motors at motorhelp@nidec-motor.com with your plans to make sure it'll work as you think.