Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Calcium hardness w/ SWG in vinyl pool

Calcium hardness w/ SWG in vinyl pool

Just installed the Aquarite in my 34,000 gal inground vinyl liner pool... Before have never had to worry about Calcium but now what i've read about saturation index i'm thinking i need it. Do I? Right now my Cal is 30, according to the calculator I'm going to have to add 57 lbs. to get to 200... do I want it that high? And my last question (for now) is where's a good place to buy it? Thanks!
    14 x 32 Fiberglass Pool 10K gal. Hayward Pump and Sand Filter. Autopilot SWG Dig 48 and Heat Siphon 3.25sx Heat Pump.

The Pool Calculator
    Chlorine/CYA Chart by Chemgeek

I think you'll get a lot of varying opinions on whether you need to even be concerned about it. I don't know, I've never owned a vinyl pool. Even the published ranges for CH in vinyl seems to vary. I've seen between 80 - 150 and another source says 200 - 300 to have good water balance.

You really need to take into consideration other factors, whether you believe it to be necessary or not. For instance, what does your vinyl pool manufacturer say it needs to be. If you have a pool heater, what do they recommend. Same with the chlorinator. Sometimes there is verbage about void warranties if you have not kept your water in their recommended balance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

The saturation index tells you when your pool is fully saturated with calcium carbonate (when the index is 0.0). Calcium carbonate saturation is required to prevent corrosion (dissolving) of plaster/gunite/grout surfaces exposed to water. It is not necessary in a vinyl pool unless you've got some sort of tile line (so would have exposed grout). There is dispute as to whether it is needed for a heater, but most indications are that it is not and that pH is the far more important factor in the corrosion of metal heat exchangers.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"