1990s Pool facelift - UPDATE deck pictures!!!

Thanks to everyone here who has held my hand with all my questions on a pool re-do. I bought a house with a late '80/early '90s cantilever deck Blue Haven built pool in DFW. When I put a bid on the house about a year ago the pool area looked like this (don't be jealous - lol!)

When we got to closing the seller was to have replastered the pool. Instead he painted it and it looked like this:

No look - he used pros for this job:

So I spent a season living with an ugly pool. I ripped out dead trees, cleared a stand of bamboo, picked up roughly 9 million ugly sharp rocks that are thrown all over the property for no reason that I can understand, pulled out overspent plants, laid 2 pallets of sod and learned to keep the chemicals on the ugly pool before I got around to getting it prettied up - and trust me - not one person that came over said "well I would LOVE to swim today, but you see, your pool is ugly, and I couldn't possibly get in it."

And then the debates started in earnest. What to do to the pool. After much hemming and hawing and even a false start (interrupted thanks to a kid spending all my money at the hospital rather than the pool contractors) I decided what was important to me and mine was a gentle surface in a more natural color. A light that truly lights the pool (it is Texas - sometimes swimming at night is the only way to go) and to save the cool deck that really is cool enough to lay on in August. I truly appreciate those of you that do major remodels of your pools but I decided that the extra $$$ wasn't going to make that pool any more fun for us. Hopefully what I saved in doing a facelift rather than a remodel will give me a boost on either a kitchen remodel or an outdoor kitchen build.... decisions decisions decisions. I ended up choosing a medium grey plaster, traditional light over LED (just had too many pros tell me that the LED wouldn't be bright enough), and planned on glazing the cool deck. Also replaced all the returns with grey plastic and had work done on the equipment. And here we go:

First the deck guys came out and power washed, repaired cool deck, and cut in expansion joints that were not put in when the deck was poured all those years ago. It had cracked in several places. We had planned for most of the brown paint to wash off the deck revealing a lighter colored original deck color.... best laid plans and I am still working out with the cement folks how we are going to handle the deck. I am adamant that we are not retexturing the deck because this cool deck is actually cool. Keeping a cool area is so important to me - I decided to put in St. Augustine all around the pool rather than adding more deck just too help keep the area cooler. It was a good decision and this cool deck is going to have to get worked out.

After a reasonable amount of debate, I decided to keep my "antique" tiles. The tile guys came and acid washed them and gave them a fresh coat of grout - WOW what a difference.

Next came the guys to chisel out the tile and sand blast the paint off the pool. If you can only be home to be amazed by 1 part of your pool redo - this is the part to watch. These guys made this look so easy! See the guy sitting on the deck with the hand held jack hammer? That guy is jack hammering between his legs. They did amazing work.

See those tiles on the steps? That was ultimately the reason that I decided to keep the original tile. I LOVE the tiles on the step. It looks like a wedding cake. Very. Favorite. Part. And the guys were so great that they hand chipped that area because the tiles had a curve to the top and bottom.

And then the sand blasting. If you ever have to do this try to schedule it for when all of your neighbors are gone. The noise and the mess is incredible (and seriously, don't do a half way job painting a pool to try to sell it - this mess cost me an extra $1000 on the remodel and it didn't even last a full season).

Sweeping up the part of the mess that stayed in the pool.

This is where my story takes a "here is a lesson for you" turn. I was supposed to have had plaster guys here on a Wed morning. I cleared my schedule for them. I got a text the night before that they would be coming in the afternoon instead. My daughter had a doc appointment and the doc was going to charge me cancelled it. First thing the next morning I got on the phone, managed to get her appointment changed, and she skipped school to go to the doc. I was driving back into town about 45 minutes before the plaster guys were supposed to come when I got a call from the pool sales guy. He was at my house with the plaster guys. They were there early but the wind was just too bad for them to plaster. They would be back the next morning. OK, not a big deal. I drop the kid off at school and come home to find the sales guy still sitting in the driveway making phone calls. He and I start chatting and I mentioned what an AMAZING job the guys did chiseling out the tile. I told him that they even hand chiseled the tile on the step for me since it was wavy. He looked strange and said "there is no tile on the step." I argued, telling him that they babied it for me since it was my favorite part of the pool. He insisted that there was no tile on the step. I laughed and pulled up a picture on my phone.... see - tile. By this point we were strolling to the back yard where he said "I am really sorry, but the tile is gone." Ever see a grown woman brought to tears over some tile that was removed via sledge hammer? Apparently neither had he because the poor dear obviously wanted to join me in some tears. Of course the tile is not available after all these years. So it is a loss. I put off having the plasterers come the next morning because I was in mourning over my tile and trying to decide if I should tear out the rest of it since the part that I loved was gone.

I ended up deciding to keep the old tile despite the missing 'wedding cake tile'. And the plasterers came:

And a cool note - these are plaster boots! They are like mini stilts!

See those pieces of foam? I thought those were for them to kneel on.

The foam was for their shoes! They put their regular boots on, then stepped on the foam, and then they tied the foam onto their feet with fabric. Low tech solution!

And the water goes in green from the beginning!

My much less decorative steps.

That white circle really scared me for a while!

And the concern about the green water got REALLY intense when I turned on the pool light. O M G ectoplasm!

And it was still green the next morning....

But it turned a beautiful shade of blue!

Re: 1990s Pool facelift in progress (for a while it looked like ectoplasm! eek!)

Big difference from what you started with.

Question though, how did the previous owner get away with just a paint instead of replastering? Did you go after him after leaving you that mess?

Re: 1990s Pool facelift in progress (for a while it looked like ectoplasm! eek!)

Big difference from what you started with.

Question though, how did the previous owner get away with just a paint instead of replastering? Did you go after him after leaving you that mess?

That was a mess. I had moved cross country, was leasing a condo and had given notice, and had a truck coming with the better part of 4000 square feet worth of furnishings and "stuff". The deal almost fell through at the last minute but I was up against "how much is $1,000 worth to me at this exact moment". I had been trying to buy a house for about a year, but REALLY wanted a big yard with trees and a pool without cracks in a particular school district (actually within a particular school within a particular district). It was hard to find. I found the house and although it was a lot smaller than what I thought I wanted, the layout was great and it had all the other must haves. I finally decided that the $1,000 to sand blast wasn't worth losing the house. I was about to be homeless with 2 kids in tow. In the end he gave me back $300 and I agreed not to go after him. It wasn't what was right and the stress alone in trying to get to closing (this was not the first problem that I had) was worth far more than the $300. The whole deal got so messed up that he ended up filing a complaint against his realtor and it is my understanding that she may yet lose her license.

But hey, I got a pool! lol!

Sounds like you have quite a pool story! In the end it looks great though! I love the fancy workman shoes =)

Nice!!!

Really sorry to see they destroyed the tile on the steps. But good news is, your pool is great looking! It turned out wonderful. I really like the old tile.

Thank you all so much!

And good news! I just talked to the deck folks and they should be out Friday! Then on to building a fence around the pool equipment to replace the icky one that I tore out, and then getting the plantings into the area above the retaining wall... and then to stain the patio... well, it never ends does it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Looks good. Glad to see the expansion joints added. I was surprised to see that decking in this climate.

Friday we had the deck folks out. I have actual cool deck - it August we can lay on the deck. It was a huge priority for me to keep the decking in place. After quite a bit of going back and forth with the deck subs, we decided that we would try something that they had never done. They patched all the cracks, added expansion joins, and then the fun began. Prep:

They put down a coat of white base paint.

And they they put down a layer of "Alamo Moss" colored stain. They had only every used this glazing type stain on new construction, never on old cool deck. As soon as they started putting it down it became obvious that it was going to behave differently... starting with the fact that it was going to be very very yellow.

I had them lay down another coat of it, thinking it would "brown up"... but it just turned about the color of those old 70s appliances. They tried to talk me into just repainting it a color that I could live with, but I really wanted a more natural look... So they mixed up a batch of chocolate staining glaze and put down a couple of coats of that. Thankfully, it looked MUCH better.

It is hard to get a shot where the depth of color difference shows, but I would say the best description for it is "leathered". The guys who did it were great (even though they kept asking me if they should just paint it white again - up until we got to the end). The pool company was amazed at how well it came out, and so was I. It goes great with the retaining wall and honestly it looks new. My teenage daughter was upset when she came home and saw it because she thought that I had them pour another deck and it wouldn't be cool any longer.

This is a great example of "it doesn't have to cost a million dollars to get the pool spiffy looking". The whole thing was under $8,000 and would have been under $7,000 if not for the paint. Now I just have to get the rest of the grass laid and the fence built.

And I just want to give a shout out to Seahorse Pools in Ft. Worth, Tx. If anyone is close to the area and looking for some pool folks, they have been AMAZING. I would use them again in a heart beat!

Thanks for all y'alls help getting through the process!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.