dumb question

Apr 12, 2014
lousiana
ok so im wondering about putting bleach in my 14ft intex ultra fame pool.....if ive read right, about one gallon bottle of bleach in my pool a week at say a cost of around 12 bucks a month or tablets around 28 bucks a month.....I like the bleach idea better lol but wouldn't the bleach eat my liner? how much eactlly do I put into my pool a week? love to not have to waste money on tablets if I can.....any thoughts ? thanks

Bleach costs about the same as tablets, perhaps just a little less if you shop carefully.

Bleach should be added by pouring slowly in front of a return jet, while the pump is on. When added correctly it won't have any affect on your liner (other than the effects that any other form of chlorine have).

Your pool holds a bit less than 4,000 gallons of water.

Assuming normal chlorine usage, you'd go through about a gallon a week assuming you have enough CYA in the water to protect the chlorine from the sunlight. Normally that's about 40ppm CYA. You can gain that CYA from using the tabs or by directly adding CYA to the pool. CYA in an old sock hung in front of a return is a good way to get it in the water if you need it.

Once it is in the water, all residential chlorine sources are the same as far as the sanitizer portion. They all add something to the water besides chlorine though, so what you choose is all about the side effects. Bleach adds salt, which is actually a good thing for the most part. The tabs add CYA, which is good up to a point, but becomes a problem after a fairly short time. If you add bleach too quickly, it can settle on the bottom since it's heavier than water, but we recommend pouring the bleach in slowly while walking around the pool and leaving the pump running for several hours after addition to avoid that.

One of the downsides of the pucks with a small pool is that you often have to use a floating chlorinator, and often the floater can't add chlorine fast enough to keep up with the chlorine demands of the pool during the busiest time of the year.

To get optimal control of your pool you will need to invest in a decent test kit. Once you have that it is fairly simple to take a reading and use Pool Math to calculate how much of each chemical to add. The bleach will not affect you liner any more than any other source of chlorine, just don't dump it in one place. Spread it around and run your pump for a while to mix it all in.

Like the others have said, liner damage comes from the pool chemistry being out of balance, not from a particular choice of chlorine sources, having said that you do have to be a little more careful with bleach, vs slow dissolving tablets when adding it to the water, in other words pour slowly in front of the return and don't let it drip directly on the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.