I have a 23,000 gal. pool and wondering...

Apr 18, 2014
Alabama
Once the pool is balanced,how much bleach (on average) should it take per week? How many times per week should it be added. I know it will vary depending on temp. and other things,but just curious. Just a ballpark figure.

2 ppm of chlorine added daily is about average, though it varies a little. That corresponds to just over 2 quarts of 8.25% bleach each day. Less when the water is cold.

Chlorine is normally added daily.

Time to research salt water chlorine generator (SWG). I have one and would never go back to adding bleach daily. I only add bleach to shock pool when starting it up (like right now). The rest of the time is automatic. I do a daily or bi-daily chlorine/ph test, but it usually needs nothing.

I have the same size pool. My usage averaged about 1.5ppm per day, though our bather load is very low, and I keep a solar cover on most of the time.

This works out to roughtly a quart of 12.5% per day.

If you're gone for an extended period of time, you can bring the pool up to SLAM level, then put the cover on. It'll be fine til you get back.

Or, if the CYA level is a bit low, you can add trichlor tablets (in floater or feeder) and just accept the rise in CYA that this dose of trichlor will cause in your pool.

This can be combined with dosing liquid chlorine up to SLAM levels.

I find that the tablets dissolve very slowly when FC is raised high to start with.

I recently, reluctantly, raised CYA from 20 to 30. I had hoped to keep it low for the upcoming trip out of town but the sun has been killing my FC numbers with such low CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There's a thread for bleach/chlorine prices too...http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/71808-Bleach-Prices-2014

I usually get mine from Target or Wal-Mart 8.25% store brand. I found out Farm Fresh (grocery store) store brand sells for 2.69 and is the same 121 oz 8.25% so I've gotten it there too.

I can't really buy in any bulk though because my pool is not very big. Right now I dont use much a day or even every other day with the water still cold and our recent stupid never ending winter...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.