Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pool size - what is considered "a large pool"?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool size - what is considered "a large pool"?

What do you guys consider a "large" size pool? (length x width, or perimeter, roughly)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool size - what is considered "a large pool"?

I would think anything over 15,000 gallons would be a large pool. Volume not dimensions being relevant.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

3. Back To Top    #3

I would say anything over 24,000 gallons. 15,000 to 20,000 is too common
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, my figure would be large to me, so I guess it could be relative to point of view.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

This is a large pool
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Anything that won't fit in my yard!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

My first pool was 23,000 gallons, and it didn't require much work or cost too much in chemicals. My 2nd pool was 15,000 gallons, and it was even easier. My current pool is 36,000 gallons, and it's a beast -- so I agree with over 24,000.
    35,000 gallons - inground vinyl liner -- sand filter - 1 HP, 50.76 GPM - Aqua Rite T-Cell 15 SWG - Dolphin Apollo Plus - TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

My current design is about 114 perimeter, and around 41 feet long x 20-23 feet wide. About 23,000 gallons.

I have a large yard and want to make sure i don't get the pool in and think "I should've gone a bit larger." So I do want a "large" pool. Not small or medium.

Does that size seem reasonable to meet my expectations of "a good size pool?"

9. Back To Top    #9

From a statistical point of view of fellow owners here, I would say anything over about 25,000 gallons, is large. Anything over about 36,000 gallons is rare (this is the point most of the dosing charts on pool chemical bottles stop at), although we do have a few somewhat regular members here with pools in the 40,000-50,0000 gallon range and one guy I can remember last year that had bought a house with an insanely large 60,000+ gallon pool, as I recall the house also had tennis courts, etc.pool was in need of work as I recall.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Our pool looks huge because so much of it is fairly shallow, I initially was thinking it was over 20k gallons, but historical trends of chemical additions puts it closer to 18k.

So there is a difference of looking large and actually having a large volume which is dependent on the depth profile.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm more concerned about surface area, in terms of do I have enough so that 4-6 people can be on floats at the same time? (We are a family of four, and may have another family of four visit frequently).

12. Back To Top    #12

Get a can of white spray paint and spray the layout of the dimensions of the pool in the yard. That should give you a feeling if the pool is the right size that meets your needs.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

13. Back To Top    #13

Or I used garden hoses to layout a grass area at previous house ... Use a few of them to layout the shape and size of the pool and adjust it until you find what you think you want.

It does not take a very big pool for 4 people to be floating in.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

I'd probably say anything over 30,000 gallons. I'd consider anything above 20,000 to be of a very good size though.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    This is a large pool
    Haha, no kidding. Can't really cool it a 'pool' when you can sail boats in it (and not toy ones!)
    38'x24' freeform IG gunite, 26k gallons, 3.5' - 7'
    8t Moss rock waterfall with gunite slide
    SWCG, 2 x 2.7hp Hayward Tristar pumps, booster pump, 425 sqft cartridge, 400,000 BTU heater, Polaris Black Max 280, ProLogic PS8 & Aquapod

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

I was going to answer "this is a very subjective thing to ask". but it looks like that's quite obvious based on all the responses so far.

Apparently my pool is considered large by local pool builder standards. I'm guessing it is a low 20k gal. pool (It's not done....so I can't tell you for sure).
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by ping View Post
    Get a can of white spray paint and spray the layout of the dimensions of the pool in the yard. That should give you a feeling if the pool is the right size that meets your needs.
    I had my pre-site meeting with the PB yesterday and he spray-painted it in the yard. That's why I'm asking. It "seemed" small. (And he said that's a common reaction when you just see it painted and not dug). But dimension-wise - it suggests being a fairly nice-sized / large pool. Looking for validation. 40-ft x 20-ft seems like it should be plenty big for us. Sure seems small painted on the ground though, LOL.

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Yes, that's pretty large. It will look larger when it turns into a hole.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

18. Back To Top    #18

Part of the issue I think is that so many newer houses are built on much smaller lots than their older counterparts. I can see it even in more remote areas like in the towns and small cities around where I live, 30-50 years ago most middle class houses were build on .5 to .75 acre lots, now .33 or even .25 is getting to be common. I was speaking with a local real estate developer about this recently and a lot of the driving force is the higher standards that the residential streets much be built to due to code changes. So the more houses they can fit in X feet of street the more profit they can make. As to the comfort of having 4 to 6 people on floats at once, with my 20x40 ft pool 4 to 6 people on floats at once is comfortable, at 4 people each can have a fair amount of isolation, at 6 it is still comfortable, but you don't tend to have as much space to yourself.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

19. Back To Top    #19

If the layout seemed small to you increase the layout size until you feel it is right for you. You might also cut out some shapes of float sizes to help to get a feel for how much space they take up.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by Fireproof View Post
    I had my pre-site meeting with the PB yesterday and he spray-painted it in the yard. That's why I'm asking. It "seemed" small. (And he said that's a common reaction when you just see it painted and not dug). But dimension-wise - it suggests being a fairly nice-sized / large pool. Looking for validation. 40-ft x 20-ft seems like it should be plenty big for us. Sure seems small painted on the ground though, LOL.
    That's exactly what I thought on our first pool 20x40 looked tiny when we painted it so I insisted on going to 24x48. When they dug it it was huge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast