My pool plumbing is reversed help

May 24, 2013
Arizona
I don't know what I'm doing with this new version of website so please forgive me if this posts twice.

2nd season before I found u guys I hired a guy to install my pentaire pump and sand dollar filter. I never noticed u til I was ready to make some modifications that its backwards. My intake and out take they are backward the intake should be the one way below waterline with the grey cover with holes and the out should be near water line. At least now I understand why I had to keep my pool filled so high to avoid that sucking sound because not enough water was getting I to pump.
How can this be fixed? I hired someone because I'm disabled Andy husband does t touch pool he's a computer guy. I wanted to make following mods to my pool this year
1. Install my Hayward (not of mouth) through the wall skimmer bought last season
2 use my auto vac I'm told can not be used as I do my reg vac just plug it in the hole must have a skimmer
3. PVC waterfall once we start staying at 100+ pool stays above 90degrees. Live in az

I imagine before I can do any of this I must find out how to fix the reversed plumb situation. FYI can not get guy who did it to fix he was suppose to install the thru wall skimmer as well but he took money and moved to Colorado so that's out. Learned lesson dont pay on advance. ( got it back filed fraud thru bank). Anyway how do I fix my situation? Also if I put it right the gray thing is stuck on there like glue how will I vac pool if can't do what I've been doing just sticking the vac In the whole for intake here's. no ball Installed not a major concern I have no trees nothing larger then a bee gets in my pool.
Advise please as always tha I you.

Just to be clear, the motor is running in the right direction ?? The water is getting sucked in through the filter basket in front of the pump ??

If so it's not that hard. Someone has to physically cut or disconnect the in and out lines and reverse them. You'll need some fittings and maybe shift or reposition the pump and filter assembly but whatever it takes to make the present pumps "IN" go to the filters "OUT" and the filters "OUT" go to the pumps "IN".

I'd like to say it's a really dumb mistake and even more so being he was paid to do it but somehow I can see myself doing that :(

You should try to post some pictures so we can see how it's set up.

I can't download flicker my os to low ill add when I can but to be clear yes in take goes directly into pump basket. And outgoing directly into pool. Ran it all last year with no issues only noticed when wanted to make some changes (mods) I have no they wall skimmer my vac goes directly into the intake hole so until get thru wall skimmer and can run auto vac hesitant to chg it myself. The grey cover where in take should be is stuck on like glue afraid if switch it out I won't be able to u screw it when time to vac. And yes guy was an idiot and ripped me off was supposed to install skimmer as well he didnt then moved to Colorado with having been pd for complete job. Was able to file fraud with. Bank though.

So if what's set up now ran all last year beautifully until made mods I should be fine I guess. I'm handicapped and hubby was less then what you would call " handy ".

"So if what's set up now ran all last year beautifully until made mods I should be fine I guess."

If it ran fine before the guy made the modifications that doesn't indicate it will be OK now that it's working backwards. Keeping the pool filled higher so you don't run the pump dry is a very wise choice but you need to have someone come out and reverse the plumbing so you are drawing off the bottom and the skimmer rather than drawing only off the top and injecting filtered water in at the bottom. It might work OK but it's anyone's guess if it will.

If your husband is good with computers maybe he will help you post some pictures on photobucket or flicker and add the links to your posts.

What I understand from your description is that the installer used the opening near the waterline of the pool to install the intake for the pump, and routed the return from the filter to the lower opening on the pool? If that is so, then when you have the skimmer installed this problem will be corrected. The installer will have to remove the intake and return lines anyway and they will put them in the correct places when they install the skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.