Swivels question - Polaris 380

Jul 25, 2010
I’m not sure if this question can be answered categorically one way or the other……
……on a hose run of approx. 20feet on a Polaris 380……how many swivels would you expect to see?
I don’t know how often I would expect to see hose tangles in a 2 hr. run of the cleaner, but we’ll get several. The machine will untangle itself only when the backup valve kicks in, but by that time it has wasted 5 minutes or so cleaning time. I’m wondering if we have enough swivels and if just adding one more would not cause any harm.
The leader hose has a swivel at 5 feet from the cleaner, another swivel at join of leader and secondary. The third swivel is about 8 inches from the quick connecter into the pool wall. So the secondary doesn't have any swivels in it's 10 ft length.
Thanks

How old is the hose? I was told that after 3 years you need to replace the hose for it is hardened. We did and it is true, the new hose is so much more pliable. No more tangles. We had that hose for 5 years, no ideal how old it actually was.

We got the whole hose assembly with the wall connection, the hose, the swivels, for $105 online as I recall. Spent nearly that much for new swivels and a few parts for wall connection when that spring broke years ago.

How old is the hose? I was told that after 3 years you need to replace the hose for it is hardened. We did and it is true, the new hose is so much more pliable. No more tangles. We had that hose for 5 years, no ideal how old it actually was.

We got the whole hose assembly with the wall connection, the hose, the swivels, for $105 online as I recall. Spent nearly that much for new swivels and a few parts for wall connection when that spring broke years ago.

Thanks, the hoses, swivels and back up valve are brand new, less than a week old. I need to trim the hose anyway, I'll see if that helps. If not I'm going to install another swivel in the middle of the second hose.

Thanks

in a standard pool you would only need the required 2 swivels as the hose should be the same length as the furtherest corner of the pool away from the wall connection + or - 6". the first hose, called the leader hose (from the cleaner head) should be cut to the length of the depth of the pool then the next 2 lengths of hose should be cut evenly so when you stretch the hose to the furthest point it should be within 6". this then makes sure that when the cleaner goes to this corner/point it pulls the hose out straight and any coils out.

in a standard pool you would only need the required 2 swivels as the hose should be the same length as the furtherest corner of the pool away from the wall connection + or - 6". the first hose, called the leader hose (from the cleaner head) should be cut to the length of the depth of the pool then the next 2 lengths of hose should be cut evenly so when you stretch the hose to the furthest point it should be within 6". this then makes sure that when the cleaner goes to this corner/point it pulls the hose out straight and any coils out.
Thanks. Well I trimmed the hose down to the "Pool edge + or - 6inches" as per the manual and she is running way better. Not getting tangled and doing a good job on keeping the pool clean. Thanks for the input. I still have the 3 swivels in place, which may be one too many but I'll leave things as they are for now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.