Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about TA/Aeration/when to adjust

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about TA/Aeration/when to adjust

I tested my water 2 days ago and my TA was 60 ... but I didn't adjust it to bring it up since I didn't have baking soda on hand. It also occurred to me that we just had a rain storm the day before and the rain could have brought it down. I tested it again this morning and it is back to 80 - which is within the recommended levels here for vinyl pool with bleach as chlorine. However, I would like to add a pool cooler to my return later in this season when the pool starts to feel like a bath. So, my question is - at what point do you adjust TA to bring it up as with regular aeration it will be low, but when I remove the aeration will it be too high ... Or should I just leave it where it is and not adjust at all. ... My pH is 7.5 so all is well with that too. ... Or do all of these things change as the season progresses and temperatures rise?

I have not had to adjust anything but add stabilizer and bleach since opening the pool 3 weeks ago. - I slammed for 24 hours and passed the overnight test - no algae seen / water is clear.
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about TA/Aeration/when to adjust

Aerating the pool will raise the PH---------to be lowered with muriatic acid, which will in turn, lower your TA.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

In normal conditions, I recommend waiting until TA is out of range on two consecutive tests before adjusting. TA is not one of the most critical factors. If it is off a little that generally make little difference. With TA you want to watch for the longer term trends, rather than responding to each little wiggle.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

AH ... I got them backwards ... the pH is 7.2 this morning ... so aeration will be good ... but no acid and perhaps a bit of borax?

I'm glad there are not quizzes here! LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

We are several weeks from even thinking of swimming ... unless I dawn scuba gear and a dry suit! ... So I will just keep my weekly log and see how it looks
    Central NC

5. Back To Top    #5

The new software for the site must have let you slip through the "quiz"! We'll get Jason right on that!
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

6. Back To Top    #6

LOL! Between swirling, counting, wiping with a damp cloth ... well I've decided that I don't do pool stuff until after 2 cups of coffee!
    Central NC

7. Back To Top    #7

That's the best part about TFPC....once you get comfortable with it, it becomes easy enough that I do the pool routine during my first cup of coffee. Nothing like the still hours of the morning for a little one on one bonding, just me and the pool. My wife says she's not jealous.....
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

8. Back To Top    #8

When the weather is nice we always have morning coffee/tea out by the pool. It is a wonderful calm moment to start the day. During that time we do the daily pool chores, clean out the skimmer, pick up any leaves on the bottom, test the water, etc. But these days I'm not even really aware of doing the chores any more, I just notice how calm it is out by the pool first thing in the morning.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

9. Back To Top    #9

My husband spent years telling me what a pain having a pool would be ... and how expensive it would be ... so we have always had a boat instead ... we have 2 boats (one to many - two too many if you ask me!) ... But he couldn't argue with me any more when I found a free pool, save the $ for sand, liner, coping, etc ... It has been so easy and we spend far less $ on the pool than taking the boat out - just the gas for trailering the boat to the lake, and running the boat on the lake 4 or 5 times a summer pays for the chemicals I use in the pool for a whole year! ... This is all of course, thanks to TFP!!

And, I agree, sitting by the pool with the laptop and my coffee in the morning is so relaxing! ... and I let hubby get in my pool without saying "I told ya so" ... at least sometimes LOL!
    Central NC

10. Back To Top    #10

Please post pics of the boats "for sale". I hate that for him!

11. Back To Top    #11

I wish woodyp! ... I'm tired of cleaning boats ... I'd rather float in the pool! This is hubby's "other woman" ... she's an old boat ... (we are avid tinkerers and DIYers) - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    Central NC

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by AprilNC View Post
    LOL! Between swirling, counting, wiping with a damp cloth ... well I've decided that I don't do pool stuff until after 2 cups of coffee!
    Or after 2 beers.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

13. Back To Top    #13

Agree with you all. Being out by the pool is the most relaxing part of my day! Now if the water wasn't still 68 degrees, being in it would be the most relaxing!
    27' Round X 54" Aqua Leader Sentinelle AGP, Vinyl J hook liner. 18,500 gal.
    Waterway 19" oval sand filter, US Motors EZBN25 1.0 hp 1.5 SPL Pump, BBB (Empty Aqua Smarte System connected, may use during vacation), Barracuda Zodiac 1500,
    Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 Test Kit.