Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hey its cleaner than the Lake...

1. Back To Top    #1

United States

Hey its cleaner than the Lake...

well im back. Been reading your posts and trying not to add a post where its not necessary. Alot of good information on here. I am stuck with a problem with my sand filter. Its an old, really old pool filter and can't read the name. I vacuumed the pool twice and keep seeing dirt coming back out of the ports after it goes through the filter. Yes i plan on changing the sand this weekend. I thought i hadn't backwashed properly but guessing sand it either too old or not enough. Just replacing all of it. My main question is has someone ever tried putting an inline filter cartridge along the vacuum hose to take out the fine dirt? I see them for sale but i don't think its hard to make. Any input? PCV and some stainless hardware should do the trick. Bulk pack of cartidge filters to go with.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Hey its cleaner than the Lake...

Sand hardly ever needs to be replaced. Could be a problem with laterals or the backwash valve.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Thomson GA

The sand in the filter could be channeled.
    27' x 54" AG Salt Water Pool Installed 2014, Hayward 23" Sand Filter, 1 HP 2-Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump, AQ-TROL SWG, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4
    Houston, Texas

Before you build the inline filter make sure the sand filter is ok. You could try deep cleaning and resetting the sandbed first and see if that corrects the problem. If you remove the sand check the laterals carefully and make sure there are no breaks or cracks. While you have the filter open inspect the spider gasket and lube it well with silicone pool lube. You can also try adding DE to the sand filter to catch more fine debris.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!