Brown Stains

Feb 13, 2014
Dallas Texas
Split off of here. Please ask questions in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's topic. JasonLion

I am having the same problem with my pool. I have some brown stains, but they are only in the middle of the pool and a little around the steps. My pool man says I need to have it re-plastered for around $3500. I don't think he knows what is wrong with it so I'm anxious to find it if anyone has an answer for your questions. My pool is 35' x 15' and 6 feet at the deepest.

I just called my poolman and asked if he had tested for metals. He said he didn't, but will next week. I may beat him to it. Then I can be the poolman.

Re: Help with brown stains.

I read in the forum that the only reliable solution for removing calcium scaling is a full drain and acid wash. Is "brown stains" calcuim scaling or are those the white stains? I had the complete full drain and acid wash last year. Why would the stains come back so soon? I may have to get a wet suit too and scrub with pumice stones, too.

Re: Help with brown stains.

Calcium scale happens when you do not keep your pH in the 7s and you have high CH and maybe TA.

Did you maintain proper chemistry all last year? What are your current test results?

Iron stains are usually brown. Calcium stains are usually white. However, you sometimes get the two combined, where iron is bound into the calcium scale producing brown stains that won't come off with an AA treatment.

Iron stains happen when there is iron in the water. Calcium stains happen when you don't maintain your water chemistry correctly.

Did you try placing a vitamin C tablet on a stained area to see what happens? What happened?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.