water behind liner.... french drain?

bgcole

Jul 5, 2013
Hi All -

Peeked under my cover here in upstate NY a couple of weeks ago and everything was looking grand.... then the snow melted... and it filled up with water behind my 5 month old liner. a real bummer.

Now my first liner was ruined because this happened, but i actually thought it was caused by the water level getting above the coping...and then leaking down behind. i was wrong....obviously.

So i know I will probably be able to fix it and might end up with some wrinkles...

I want to prevent this if at all possible.

Would digging a french drain around the edge be worth it? I have a wet backyard but i do have some grade around half of my pool that i could funnel water away.. My shallow end is 38" and my deep end is 72", how deep would the trench have to be? Also I'm slightly concerned about what is under my concrete deck....

Sometimes, i want to fill this thing in with dirt.

Yes, a french drain will solve the problem, but they tend to be quite expensive. Your other option is to keep the water level in the pool higher. As long as the pool water level is higher than the ground water level the liner can't float. Of course this makes winterizing more complex.

well, things froze pretty solid around here this year... My water level was never below 18" under the coping, and for most of the winter is was probably more like 6".... so i don't think i could have put it any lower.

How deep would you go?... i was thinking like 48"

I would be doing this myself. i had to do this around the foundation of my house as well

I had a similar problem and put in a makeshift french drain using a piece of 12" pipe, holes drilled all around (perfed) and ran up what appeared as a second skimmer near the pool. To do this I had to take out a small section of concrete beside the pool and redo after the dig was complete. This allowed me to drop in a submerssible pump and remove the water as the levels around the pool rose.

It wasnt the best option but it did work. The other things are all about keeping as much water away from the pool as possible. I re-directed my rear downspouts and buried them running out past the pool.

Good luck with the project.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.