Just registered. What is hatching in my pool?

Apr 20, 2014
Palm Coast FL
Just moved from Massachusetts to Palm Coast Florida. For the past two days I have seen a foam-like material surfacing in the pool. When it dries up it looks like eggs of some sort.
The water is crystal clear the growing concentration pH alkalinity are okay. I don't know what is going on. Since I am new to Florida I don't really know what to think. I have had pools for many years up in Massachusetts and have never seen this phenomenon.
Any thoughts?

Ed Troncoso
10,000 gallon Gunite Ingram pool
Cartridge filter. BBB method

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Can you post up a full set of test results? If the chlorine were properly maintained, the likelihood of anything living let alone hatching in your pool is very very low.

Also read this: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/115-read-before-you-post

You are missing a LOT of the test results that we require. Most important being the stabilizer (CYA) level. A FC of 4ppm could be ok if your CYA is under 50ppm, but if the CYA is much higher, then you do not have nearly enough chlorine in the water. The required FC level is a function of your CYA level. See the FC/CYA Chart.

Thank you very much everyone for your helpful comments.
Today's readings are as follows: FC 5PPM, pH 7.82, TALK 120, CYA 100
The water continues to be crystal-clear but is still has some of that mucus like material although less. I will attach pictures of the material floating and then after it dries up in the morningimage.jpgimage.jpg

As I expected, your FC is much too low for your CYA level so stuff could be living in the water ... Although I agree that kind of looks like pollen or external debris.

What test kit did you use to get those results?
If they are right, then you likely need to replace a lot of water to get your CYA under control if you want to enjoy a trouble free pool this summer.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

I went to a local pool store and have my water tested. Tomorrow I will get some reagents and do it myself. The stuff floating on the water tonight was much less. When I shook it off the skimmer it went out in the air like snowflakes or cotton. It's weird. Thank you very much for your interest and I will keep you and everybody else posted

Welcome to TFP!

Do yourself a favor and purchase a TF100 test kit! You will not regret it!

Your pics look like pollen to me.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support