Hayward SP2300VSP vs SP2600VSP - Max-flo head vs Superpump head

Flot

Nov 1, 2013
I need to make a decision this week - I am replacing an existing 3/4 HP pump which provides more than adequate flow in my pool.

My choices - both are mid-$600 - are the SP2300VSP or the SP2600 VSP.

The 2300VSP uses the "Max-Flow" Head.
The 2600VSP uses the "Superpump" Head.

The motors on both are identical. The superpump head appears to have a 10-20% advantage in pumping capacity in scenarios where TDH numbers are high, which is reversed when TDH numbers are low, giving the edge to the max-flow.

I don't know the TDH numbers for my pool, although I have 2 inlets and 2 outlets, all connected with 1.5" plumbing about 60' from the pool. No heaters etc, just a cartridge filter. As I said - zero complaints with the pumping performance of my existing setup.

Assuming that my setup is "medium" head - the two pumps should perform similarly.

In terms of basket etc - I realize the superpump is a bit non-traditional with the square basket and thumbwheels vs the max-flow with the regular screw off lid. Anything else that would make me choose one over the other? I am leaning towards the max-flo but ?

How high is your electrical rate? Are you sure the VS will have any benefit over just a small 2-speed pump? Really the cheapest initial option would be a 2-speed motor for your existing pump.

If you are set the one of those VS pumps, I would think the Max-flo would be fine and I think is usually slightly cheaper. Also, you should realize that they do not communicate with any automation systems to control the speeds, if that matters.

Flot, your assessment is spot on. Both are very similar pumps. The head curve cross over between the two pumps is an operating point that is typical of 1.5" high head loss plumbing so for most cases, the Max-Flo is going to be the better choice.

But as JB points out, a VS may not be your best choice.

Thanks guys. Either is mid-$600s right now, and I'm willing to pay a premium for the 'adjustability' vs the 2 speed pump. Added bonus that I can use my existing timer - I don't anticipate needing any other automation etc.

Just wanted to make sure there wasn't something dramatically better about the pump section on either of them. Or even if one were easier to clean out etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.