Remodel: PVC pipe/pump/filter advice needed.

I'm a complete newbie to all this pool stuff... Inherited a mess last year when we brought the house...

Pool was a swamp with a torn up liner and it was only half way filled with water. We drained the water and ripped out the liner. Luckily for us, the walls are fine but now we are looking at a remodel due to the mess it's in.

My concerns are,

1) The pool repair guy want's to use 1-1/2" flexible PVC to hook up the main drains to the filter... I've read it's not good to use the flexible PVC?
2) He want's to install a Hayward S-200 sand filter on a 22K gallon pool... Doesn't seem adequate to me... I maybe wrong, being a newbie and all...
3) He want's to install a Hayward 1 HP single speed Super pump... I'm worried about running costs...

I'm thinking of a Hayward pro series S-244T filter and a Hayward 1 HP dual speed super pump. Which I can get both for $300 less than what he quoted me! More money for pools toys lol

Opinions/advice would be very welcome. I'm planning on getting the remodel started within the next 4 - 6 weeks. I want to get these issues figured out before I hand over any money.

Thanks in advance,
Schroedz.

Welcome to TFP!

For an in-ground I would insist on 2" rigid pipe (unless there are several runs in the same direction, which could each be smaller because collectively they are larger).

A larger filter is a really good idea, though not required. Likewise, a two speed pump is a great idea and will save you money on electricity.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Just be mindful that many pool companies are greatly limiting the warranty for owners that buy online and DIY ... personally I still do it as the risk is worth the large $ savings.

I would also not go smaller than the 24" filter which should be fine in your shorter swim season.

Thank you Jason, for the quick reply and the welcome! I'm so glad I found this site! It's awesome.

There is only one pipe running from the deep end of the pool to the filter/pump and that's the return. It's never had a main drain before, so I don't know much about the pipes that are already there.

From the information I've gathered on this site, bigger is better when it comes to filters, less back washing etc... The hubby already freaks out at the price of the electricity so anything I can do to save some money there is going to make him happy lol.

Thank you Jb, for the welcome and quick reply.

Ok, that I wasn't aware of but like you said, it's worth the risk. It's costing enough to get the pool back up and running, so I need to save some $$. Would it make a difference to the warranty if I got the repair guy to install it?

I only started to question the filter size after doing some research on here and realizing it may not be big enough. I've already started reading the pool school stuff so I can get to grips with it before the remodel is done.

Last edited:
Just for reference, any pipes that bring water from the pool to the pump are called "suction" lines. My guess if you have one for a skimmer somewhere as well?

The lines that take the water from the filter back to the pool are the "return" lines.

Ok, so I contacted the pool repair guy and this is his response to me insisting on 2" rigid pipe for the main drains.

" We do not recommend using 2" or rigid pvc. The rigid is actually more susceptible to being cracked or broken when used for underground plumbing due to the back fill. If you think about it rigid pvc is a hard plastic that say if a rock was accidentally be thrown in the hole would crack or bust that pipe. Whereas with the flexible pvc is flexible and more durable. If a rock were to be accidentally thrown in the hole it would just bounce off. Also, 1 1/2" is the most common size used with pools. 2" is not necessary"

Can someone please help me? I've told him why I want it changing to 2" rigid but it's falling on deaf ears! Ughhh...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The only thing the builder said that is true is that "2" is not necessary". It isn't necessary, just highly recommended. Well, I suppose that if you found a rock large enough you could shatter rigid pipe, but rocks that large should have been removed from the site long before they get around to plumbing.

I'm with jblizzle on this one, look elsewhere.

The only thing the builder said that is true is that "2" is not necessary". It isn't necessary, just highly recommended. Well, I suppose that if you found a rock large enough you could shatter rigid pipe, but rocks that large should have been removed from the site long before they get around to plumbing.

I'm with jblizzle on this one, look elsewhere.

That's what I was thinking, ref: the large rocks. Also, couldn't they back fill with sand and then dirt for extra protection of the pipes?

It's hard to find PB's in the area I'm in too. Sucks that I'm going to have to look for another one.

Thanks very much both, you are awesome.

I used 1000 feet of rigid PVC on my pool and 30 feet of flex for the airline in the spa. I never had a hint of failure with the ridgid. The flex had a rip in it when I went to pressure test. Caught on a nearby piece of steel I think. I would avoid flex.

I used 1000 feet of rigid PVC on my pool and 30 feet of flex for the airline in the spa. I never had a hint of failure with the ridgid. The flex had a rip in it when I went to pressure test. Caught on a nearby piece of steel I think. I would avoid flex.

Thanks for the info Andy... I read somewhere online, that it's highly recommended that flex is only used on above ground spa's/hot tubs, It's not recommended for under ground pool use at all...

It's a easy and expensive way to do it. I definitely want the rigid now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.