Pond in my backyard

What do I need to do now that they have added the chlorine and the water wasn't ready?
Disregard all the peripheral stuff and tell us what your CYA is. Don't get distracted by what has been done in the past.

Once you report your CYA, we can take the next step.

Usually the first thing recommended to do is to run the full set of tests before starting a SLAM. That way you can check/fix your ph before you get all that chlorine in there and can't use the test anymore.

Someone might even type faster than me and answer before I hit "reply" but I know ph is especially important in plaster pools vs. vinyl or vinyl lined pools. I am really wondering if it might be best to let your FC drop below 10 and have a fresh start. The algae is eating up the chlorine and the sun will be burning it off too so that shouldn't take long.

I am just putting in my observations here and I'm hesitant to tell you what to do. Either way you have a little wiggle time to wait for a response from someone more knowledgeable than me because your FC is too high for your cya.

Have you read about the SLAM process in pool school? We call it SLAM instead of shock because it's an ongoing process whereas when people talk about "shocking" their pool they usually mean dumping a whole bunch of chlorine in one time and hoping for the best.

SLAM uses a chart based on your CYA level to raise your FC to the proper level to kill the algae. The difference is, you keep testing very often and keep adding chlorine to make sure that it stays at or slightly above that level until your pool is completely clean and clear and sparkly. In the beginning it means really frequent testing because the algae is going to eat up the chlorine reaaaally fast. It starts to slow a little as the pool turns back to blue...it's all in the SLAM article linked in another post above.

Hey experts, she's new, she's learning her tests, the pool company dumped the shock in before she had her kit and I think she should start from the beginning and get some good readings. ---- what do you guys think?

What do I need to do now that they have added the chlorine and the water wasn't ready?
Disregard all the peripheral stuff and tell us what your CYA is. Don't get distracted by what has been done in the past.

Once you report your CYA, we can take the next step.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock For reference, the chart for SLAM FC levels is here. (there's a link from the SLAM articles in pool school)

There are extended test kit instructions too if you are having any troubles with the tests. I know it's all new and the stupid CYA test is the one I think we all hate the most.

If I read correctly, when you ran your CYA test you filled the tube all the way up and the water was still see through? That means really low CYA and it's a lot better than barely getting any water in there before you lose visibility of the black dot.

Just to double check your testing, it's recommended to do that test outside in bright light but not direct sun. Usually in the sun with your back to the sun so your body is shading the tube and you hold the tube at waist level and look down into it from there. (yup, it's the craziest test but the lighting is important)

Dave, I'm sorry. I don't mean to be overwhelming. :( I was going by her earlier post that had the pictures, she posted CYA result in that post.
she also mentioned later about the tests being a mystery so I was trying to explain the CYA test a little better because I know it's a hard one.

I'll sit this one out for now and let the experts do their thing! :)

Okay, here's some numbers. Got my test kit and did a few tests.

PH- 8.0+ The water was so dark pink, there is no reading on the tube for it.
FC- I did a sample of this. The water was dark red. I added 7 drops of the chemical to make it colorless and quit. I'm assuming that the reading is so strong because of the 10 gallons of shock that were added today.
CYA- 30+ Again, this reading was off the charts. I did my 7mL of water, added the chemical up to the 14 mL. Poured it into the test tube and I poured the entire 14 mL of water in the tube and could still see the black dot.

Stopped testing after these results.

For tonight, we are most concerned about letting the filter run and the pressure to get too high. Thoughts?

Here are two pics- the first one was taken the day we opened the pool, April 13th. The second pic is from today- filter and pump turned on, 10 gallons of shock and a bit of leaf-raking and brushing of sides completed.

Okay, here's my CYA results again- under 30. I filled bottle to 7 mL, added in R-0013, mixed for 30 seconds.
When I pour it into test tube, with sun at my back and held down at my waist to view, I can still see the black dot even though I fill it all the way up.

Sounds like you are getting the hang of doing the CYA test!

Since your chlorine is so high and you can't test pH accurately when it is that high, then I would probably spend some more time trying to get any solids out of the pool and scrubbing the sides more! Your pool is going to be wonderful when you are done! It's a learning curve, but you will get there!

You may also want to go ahead and add some things to your signature here like the size of your pool and what equipment you have as well as your location so that people can help along the way.

BethLynne,

Now that we know your CYA level, we can suggest the correct FC level....which in your case will be around 10-12 ppm.

Perhaps without knowing it, you have already started to SLAM your pool. The only test you will have to make (until your pool is clear) is FC. You must keep it above 10 ppm at all times.

Please read "SLAM" up in the "how to" section of Pool School.

Keep your pump running 24/7, clean/backwash as necessary, and above all, keep that FC aroun 10-12 ppm all the time and your pool will begin to clear.

Follow every word of the SLAM process.

Okay, new update.

Here's my FC level- 10
I measured pH and that is now at 7.
Also did CYA, but that is still showing less than 30.

Here's a photo from this morning-
View attachment 28603

This photo is from today. Clearly, I can see the bottom, but there is a bunch of algae in there.
View attachment 28604

Please tell me what to do next now that my FC is so low, I have no CYA it seems and the water is clear enough that I can begin to vacuum out the algae.

Attachments

• 2014-04-23 06.25.35.jpg
    2014-04-23 06.25.35.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 86
  • 2014-04-23 14.49.07.jpg
    2014-04-23 14.49.07.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 91

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have read all of those documents. I don't know if I'm supposed to add more chlorine. Do I need to increase the CYA in order for chlorine to work? Is my ph okay?
I'm sorry I don't really know what to do. The pool math is so confusing because I don't know what most of those words mean. I also don't know anything about the pool- size, make, etc.
I can't see the bottom so I don't know how deep the deep end it, or how to measure the pool because it's a lazy L.

OK, then step back and read more of Pool School if you do not yet understand the terminology:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals

Since you CYA is < 30ppm, your SLAM level FC is 10ppm ... which is where you are now, so no need to add more chlorine yet. And your pH is already at the low 7s, so it is fine too.

CYA does not make the chlorine work, it just acts as a buffer and protects the chlorine from the sun.

Measure your pool and post up a drawing/dimensions and someone will help you estimate the volume.

They're right. When it clicks, it just clicks and then it all makes sense. This is my first spring with our pool (installed last year) and it was overwhelming at first. I've been through pool school twice now, and it's clicking. I'm enjoying TFPC (trouble free pool care). Don't let it stress you out.

I will have to get more chemical to test the cya again. You're right. My minimum is 30 and I can still see the black dot so it might be 0. When I shake the bottle, I don't get a cloudy liquid. I get a clear liquid.
How do I determine chlorine level then?
I will get more cya testing liquid tomorrow.

BethLynn you are SO on the right path! You can do this and will be SO proud that YOU did it.

-Do not worry about testing the CYA right now. It will not change without you adding stabilizer.

-Take a picture of your pool for us. Put colored things/buckets/etc at different point to help us know what size it is when you measure IE from the blue chair to the red bucket is __ feet long.

-Use a metal tape measure to tell us how deep the ends are.

-Test your chlorine level as often as you can. For right now keep it between 5 and 10 as much as possible. Keep adding chlorine as needed to keep it at the SLAM level.

-Go to Walmart or your local store that sells pool stuff and buy some pool stabilizer (I am guessing that a bottle will do for now.)

-Get a large sock, fill it with the stabilizer, tie it in front of the return (also known as the eyeball at my house LOL). It is where the water comes back into the pool from the filter. It takes at least a week for the level to show up so do not bother testing it yet.

Good luck!

I am actually quite pleased with the progress the pool is making. I was so discouraged yesterday; I just felt like giving up. I came home from work today and could see the bottom of the deep end. Woohoo!!
I will include a pic from today.
Last night, we added 2 gallons of chlorine because the FC was less than 5. I couldn't even get the water to turn pink no matter how much 870 I added. Today, I measured it again and it is still less than 5. I will add 2 more gallons tonight and buy stabilizer tomorrow. Just saw these messages and it's getting late and dark.

By the way, our returns are just holes in the sides of the wall. How do I tie a sock with stabilizer there? Any other suggestions?

Day 4 pic- That is all algae on the bottom of the pool. We just opened up the drains on the bottom since there is nothing that will block them. Will this get rid of that algae on the bottom?

Attachments

• 2014-04-24 15.41.50.jpg
    2014-04-24 15.41.50.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 103

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.