Starting up new PebbleSheen re-do and proper levels

May 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
Just had PB finish our pool's PebbleSheen re-plaster (well, the local PB's version of it). I was expecting an acid startup based on discussions with them- though it turns out last year they switched i up and went with what I'm calling an "accelerated" acid startup. As soon as the pool was refilled, an awful lot of acid went in, because there was never any dust pushed around when it got brushed the first time roughly a day after it was filled (or, maybe with this sort of finish with less exposed plaster, it really wasn't "accelerated" at all with additional acid and it was expected). This was Thursday.
The builder includes once daily brushing for a week and all chemicals. Based on the notes they're leaving, they've already started adding chlorine and stabilizer. With my own testing, I saw:
Friday (before PB added any chemicals)- FC=0 CC=1 (is CC accurate in this case?) pH=7.2 Alk=35-40 Calcium=175
Saturday- PB added Cl, CYA, acid
Sunday- FC=0 CC=1 pH=7.8 Alk=45 CYA=0 (at least, TF100 kit showed no cloudiness at all, so it's well under 20) Calcium=175

They don't come on Sundays so that explains the pH rise- I need to watch the pH a little more carefully myself.

Questions- they've already started chlorinating (though not quite enough)- which means I need to get everything in line here ASAP, correct (most immediately is alkalinity)? Is there any reason to keep it low? Also, I'll be chlorinating using 6% bleach and a Stenner. What are the appropriate levels I want to use here? Back when I used to use the Liqudator, I kept CYA~50 and alkalinity in the 70-80 range if I'm remembering correctly. For a new pebblesheen finish + bleach feeder, what sort of levels do I want to aim for?

Thank you!

With freshly applied plaster you want to slowly creep up on your target levels over a month, rather than go straight to the usual targets. Or to put that another way, add a little chlorine and a little CYA but not all that much for the first week or two, don't raise TA or CH at all for two weeks and after that be cautious about TA and CH as the plaster curing will raise them more.

PH, TA, and CH will go up on their own fairly quickly during the first month or so, and more slowly for up to a year. Mostly you need to watch the PH, which needs to be kept under control (i.e. below 8.0).

Typically trichor tablets are used for the first month, though you you don't have to go that way. Using tablets raises FC and CYA gradually, which is a good thing with fresh plaster.

So almost two weeks post-plaster, just added 2 trichlor pucks to start bringing up CYA and CL slowly.
pH has been low (<7.2) except when I don't catch it and it goes to no more than 7.8 then I bring it back down to 7.2 or lower. Should pH be kept low and crept up to ~7.5 over the course of the next 2 weeks (like I'm doing with CL), or can I keep it at 7.5? On it's own, for reference:

Added acid overnight, stopped 4/25 8am when pH=6.8 (probably a little too far).
4/25 6pm pH=7
4/28 7pm pH~7.9 (and then turned on acid feeder).

So it took over 72 hours to rise ~.9. 4/25 was the first time I added acid myself so knew the before/after; before that, the PB was maintaining.

Thanks again :)

I am glad I found this thread... I am about 2 1/2 weeks into a Wetedge Satin Matrix Pebble startup and my levels aren't all that far from yours. I was dealing with tons of dust and cloudiness in my water as my pool contractor didn't do an acid start. That was mostly cleared up by them, but over the last couple days it has gotten a little cloudy again. Doesn't seem to be coming off the surface though, a brush doesn't stir up a cloud.

My concern with only using trichlor pucks for the first month is that they are having a hard time holding the chlorine levels up and we have some 90 degree weather in store over the next few days... so I have been adding 8 oz of calcium hypochloride (power powder) and keeping an eye on the FC/CC levels.

I am glad to hear the advice on the TA and the CH since my numbers are close to yours. All the startup guides from the plaster companies say to get them to 80 TA and CH to 150 right away. My builder recommended not pushing them as they will raise naturally as surface cures, same as Jason pointed out.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I think we are in very similar situations and not very far from each other!

you're not hijacking at all :) I'm having the same struggle with using trichlor... it's not raising fast enough. I've got a Stenner pump that was set up for bleach but I've been using it for acid. I was thinking that if the pH stayed in the 7.2 range it would be acidic enough to prevent algae, but just not sure. I might end up picking up some liquid CYA to get it up quickly (I'm thinking I'll run it at 50 and see how things go), throw in some shock and well, and switch my feeder over to bleach.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.