New house with neglected pool help!

Apr 21, 2014
Ohio
First off, I'm so glad I came across this site, it has saved me so much time and money trying to figure this pool thing out. So, long story short, bought a foreclosed house with a pool that has been neglected for some time. It seemed like draining the pool was a big no-no after reading the forums, so I instead filled it this weekend to test out the pump and filter, etc.

The pool itself is above ground, built into the slope of my backyard. The pump and filter are located under my deck and about two feet above the water table. The plumbing runs under a low deck making it hard to figure out what goes to what....

I think my biggest hurdled right now is determining how this thing is setup. From what I can "see" there is a skimmer port which runs into a control valve before entering the pump. The control valve has 4 settings, off, 1/2, port 1 (which is the skimmer) And port 2 (I can't tell whether or not this comes from the side of the pool or what, any ideas?

So, then the pump, which has a line going to another control valve labeled port 1 and port 2, port 1 goes to the filter, port 2 runs to a strange plumbing configuration I think might be an old hottub,I don't know?

Then the filter, which after has an open/close type valve. Then, two chemical contraptions, then a long run.

I believe the return line run into a water heater first, "Heat Siphon", entering the bottom first, and has a valve to release water into the yard., then into the heater, then the line out also has a release valve, and finally back to the pool.

My problems right now are understanding with this setup, how I am supposed to A. Recirculate water? And what I need to do when I need to "Backwash".

Any ideas?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.