Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Better pump for Intex 12' X 30"

1. Back To Top    #1

Better pump for Intex 12' X 30"

Now I'm thinking about getting a cheap Intex 12' x 30" round. My dog needs therapy, and I'm looking for something that will last a few months. I have heard that the pump that comes with the pool usually does not last more that 30 -60 days then it dies, just under warranty. I do not want a sand filter system. I'd like to use the Unicel cartridge Is there another third party pump, that's not too costly, I can purchase and hook up to the small pool?
    16' x 48" 5000 gal. Intex Ultra Frame AG Pool, Los Angeles, CA
    Hayward Full-Flow Cartridge Filter System with 2 Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump,
    Intex SWG, Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer, Solar cover & Solar Roller,
    Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Adjustable Roll-Guard Safety Ladder,
    Kokido SkoobaMax Vac, Custom Canine entry & exit ramps,

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: Better pump for Intex 12' X 30"

I've upgraded the pump on my intex pool..... http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=AGOKDG42D8KUC

I went with Hayward combined filter and pump and I like less hassel and its got nothing but great reviews...

- - - Updated - - -

There are cheaper pumps out there.... The Hayward will last a few years.... Any 0.75hp would do...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you laceygirl. Do you think the 1 HP might be too much for such a small pool? I probably will get the Intex 12' X 30" I don't have the room for anything larger.
    16' x 48" 5000 gal. Intex Ultra Frame AG Pool, Los Angeles, CA
    Hayward Full-Flow Cartridge Filter System with 2 Speed Power-Flo Matrix Pump,
    Intex SWG, Intex Wall Mount Surface Skimmer, Solar cover & Solar Roller,
    Confer Plastics A-Frame 7200 Adjustable Roll-Guard Safety Ladder,
    Kokido SkoobaMax Vac, Custom Canine entry & exit ramps,

4. Back To Top    #4

I thought many members have gotten the Intex 2650 pump with sand filter as a very reasonably priced upgrade for these smaller pools.

I would not look at the Hayward pumps/filters for such a small pool ... you will end up spending way more for them than for the pool I think.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Jase is right about the intex 2650 sand filter, they are a nice little upgrade and wont break the bank... The only reason I went with Hayward is my pool is really long and rectangle...18 feet long, so I wanted something that will really move the water around, round pools can get better circulation so the intex 2650 upgrade should be fine... My last pool was a bestway, very similar to intex, and I ran that filter for 8 hours a day.... I had it on a timer and never ran it for longer than 2-3 hours at a time, then off for an hour, it doesn't burn the pump out from long run times and it gets a break..... Get a test kit, read pool school, master the basics and you'll have an awesome summer with your puppy...
    Intex Rectangle 18 x 9 x 52', 4544 gallon (18000 litres), 0.75 hp pool pump, 100 sqft Zodiac Titan Cartridge Filter - 40mm, Stenner Peristaltic Pump chlorine injection system, Intex Over The Wall Skimmer, Intex Fittings with 40mm plumbing Lil Patch Of Heaven. Build/Construction http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...lice-of-heaven

6. Back To Top    #6

For that small a pool, the 56635 (1500 gph) Intex pump would be a good deal. That one takes the Intex A or C carts. Unicel C-4607 carts. Or if you want a LOT of whirlpool action, the 56633 (2500 gph) would be a good choice. Takes Intex B carts, Unicel C-5315.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.