Lowering pH without using sodiium bisulfate?

steveg_nh

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 7, 2013
Southern NH
I found this in my SWG owner's manual (A hayward salt cell as part of the AquaPlus automation system):

NOTE: The use of dry acid (sodium bisulfate) to adjust pool pH is discouraged especially in arid regions where
pool water is subject to excessive evaporation and is not commonly diluted with fresh water. Dry acid can cause a
buildup of by-products that can damage your chlorinator cel

So what would you use them, to lower it? Of course what I have downstairs for lower is bisulfate, and carbonate for plus. I used some at the end of last year (the lower) so hopefully one time is ok, especially since I don't like in an "arid" area.

Thanks!

Thanks. And to raise it, or is sodium carbonate ok? (That's basically baking soda right)?

Is there a specific concentration of muriatic acid you need? For instance, with household bleach, there's all the different types...

So wonder what I should do with the 8 pounds of Lower I have downstairs. LOL.

For muriatic you usually want 31%, which is 20 baume. Some places only sell it half strength, which is alright but usually twice as expensive (i.e. same price but you need twice as much).

For raising PH we normally recommend using Borax (the laundry booster), but you can use sodium carbonate/soda ash/washing soda if you want. Soda ash raises the TA more than borax does for the same PH increase. Sodium carbonate is not baking soda, which is sodium bicarbonate and not good for raising PH (raises TA).

Thanks. I need to go read more. I just noted that mention in my SWG manual and it got me thinking...my pH has dropped a bit though, as I'm trying to adjust CYA to keep FC where it should be. It's still in the ballpark of OK though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.