Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Lowering pH without using sodiium bisulfate?

1. Back To Top    #1

Lowering pH without using sodiium bisulfate?

I found this in my SWG owner's manual (A hayward salt cell as part of the AquaPlus automation system):

NOTE: The use of dry acid (sodium bisulfate) to adjust pool pH is discouraged especially in arid regions where
    pool water is subject to excessive evaporation and is not commonly diluted with fresh water. Dry acid can cause a
    buildup of by-products that can damage your chlorinator cel

So what would you use them, to lower it? Of course what I have downstairs for lower is bisulfate, and carbonate for plus. I used some at the end of last year (the lower) so hopefully one time is ok, especially since I don't like in an "arid" area.

Thanks!
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lowering pH without using sodiium bisulfate?

Muriatic acid. You can buy it at hardware stores, usually in the paint section.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup ... muriatic acid is the answer and what most of us use.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. And to raise it, or is sodium carbonate ok? (That's basically baking soda right)?

Is there a specific concentration of muriatic acid you need? For instance, with household bleach, there's all the different types...

So wonder what I should do with the 8 pounds of Lower I have downstairs. LOL.
    24'x40' 25k gal Imperial Mountain Pond IGP, full 28 mil VynAll Ocean Breakers liner. All Hayward system: 140k BTU HeatPro heat pump, 3/4HP single speed TriStar 2" Pump, DE6020 filter, AquaPlus Automation/Salt Chlorination, remote controls, ColorLogic 4.0 lighting. Polaris 280 w/PB4-60 BP. TF100 & K1766 test kits. Rinox Palazzo pavers and Spherik coping. Pool installed 9/2013, project completed 6/16/14.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

How to raise or lower pH (as well as the other parameters) is in Pool School. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry".
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

For muriatic you usually want 31%, which is 20 baume. Some places only sell it half strength, which is alright but usually twice as expensive (i.e. same price but you need twice as much).

For raising PH we normally recommend using Borax (the laundry booster), but you can use sodium carbonate/soda ash/washing soda if you want. Soda ash raises the TA more than borax does for the same PH increase. Sodium carbonate is not baking soda, which is sodium bicarbonate and not good for raising PH (raises TA).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks. time for a run through pool school again! Killed me though how the pool stores sell all this stuff that is just the same as you buy elsewhere for about a 50% markup.

8. Back To Top    #8

Note that with a SWG, you should almost never need to raise the pH.

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. I need to go read more. I just noted that mention in my SWG manual and it got me thinking...my pH has dropped a bit though, as I'm trying to adjust CYA to keep FC where it should be. It's still in the ballpark of OK though.

10. Back To Top    #10

You will get a temporary drop in pH when adding cyanuric acid. That's about the only time. Even then, you should be ok without raising the pH. What is your TA?

11. Back To Top    #11

About 120 right now. A bit high.