Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Above ground pool where trees used to be....

1. Back To Top    #1

Above ground pool where trees used to be....

still going back and forth with pool options on my property. Im on a slope so one idea I have tossed around is an above ground doughboy with a deep end, 16x36. Where I would put it is on the down slope side of my yard. I would have someone come in with a back hoe, remove 4 cedar trees that are there that I hate anyway, dig back the slope to accommodate the pool, level it, and then have have the pool built on the level area.

I would then have a deck built around the pool. What would be nice is the slope is great enough that the deck would need no stairs, as the front of the deck would be ground level, the back of the deck 4 feet.

can I remove trees and then put a pool where they were? obviously the stumps and most of the roots would be removed.

other thoughts on this idea?
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Above ground pool where trees used to be....

Yes, and no. Pools are heavy and they tend to cause the ground to settle. Normally you can't put a pool on fill of any kind unless the fill has had at least a year to settle. If you remove the stumps, presumably you will be filling in the holes and those areas will be prone to settling. Now, it is possible to add fill using the right materials and a compacter pass after each layer so that this isn't an issue, but doing that correctly is more of an art rather than something easily replicated.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Above ground pool where trees used to be....

You can fill in the holes with the proper material like crush and run from your friendly neighborhood quarry. You MUST put it in lifts and you MUST compact each lift "layer" with a jumping jack. That is what I prefer to use for compaction. If you don't feel comfortable with the process do NOT attempt. Just filling in the holes without proper compaction will result in settling.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

if I had the pool sunk 24-30 inches would that make any difference? that should require excavation beyond the depth of the tree stumps as they are small ceders, the biggest one is less than 12 inches in diameter. im thinking about a partial burial so that the deck is lower. the builder I talked to said he would leave 20 inches above ground on one end, and ~35 on the other end. he said any deeper would void the warranty and require slag. the 35 inch end would have the deep end.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.

5. Back To Top    #5

I would think that would work. Your depth should be down below the stump depth if I understand you correctly. Just check the warranty on the pool.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

im going with a doughboy, autumn breeze to be more specific, so warranty should be fine. if im going to partially bury an ABG pool, its gonna be one rated to be buried....

7. Back To Top    #7

Good choice !!
    Jeff