Vandalized Pool

Jul 14, 2008
Last June I came home to find that my pump motor had been removed, Sand filter plumbing destroyed, 350lb sand filter flipped over on it's side and Electrical wires ripped out. All water weights had been punctured and cover dropped into pool. The pool is literally a breeding ground for the local frogs! Our own cement pond. I was quoted $2,200 for all new equipment.

I was told to check if the pump motor is in the bottom of the pool - however since the water is green and I have no way to circulate water not sure how to accomplish that. (skimmer would never lift that!!) I really want to get this up and running this summer for my kids trying to DIY as much as we possibly can!

I had a Hayward 1.5 superpump and have read a number of posts about buying a 2-speed motor to save electricity $$$ (I'm in!!)
Would the sand filter really need to be replaced or for plumbing purposes new would be better.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

20x40 vinyl lined, 32k gal in-ground pool, Jacuzzi Sand Filter, aquabot

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!!

This is a horrible way to introduce yourself to the forum. Sorry to hear about your mess.

I agree that a 2-speed pump would be a good route to go. If you can find the pump wet end, it may be fine and just need a new motor (2-speed) and a seal kit. Also, the sand filter is likely salvageable as well. Just empty it out and inspect the canister and laterals for damage and replace the pieces if needed. Hopefully you will just need to stand it back up and put it back together.

I'm sorry about your pool equipment! That is terrible!

I can't help with the equipment, but I would certainly be trying to drag a net along the bottom to see if you can find the pump motor. You probably will have to do that any way to get up any solids.

Again sorry to hear about your misfortune, on the equipment side you can probably replace the pump with a 2 speed 1.5 HP unit for around $500 mail order / ebay, etc. and depending on what type of filter, probably another $500 or so

Just to elaborate on what some of the others already said. Turning a sand filter on it's side while it is full of sand will often break laterals, so you will need to inspect them carefully for cracks. That is the only thing that would normally break (though no guarantees), and they are designed to be serviced, so not a big deal to fix if you have the sand out anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.