Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Vandalized Pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Vandalized Pool

Last June I came home to find that my pump motor had been removed, Sand filter plumbing destroyed, 350lb sand filter flipped over on it's side and Electrical wires ripped out. All water weights had been punctured and cover dropped into pool. The pool is literally a breeding ground for the local frogs! Our own cement pond. I was quoted $2,200 for all new equipment.

I was told to check if the pump motor is in the bottom of the pool - however since the water is green and I have no way to circulate water not sure how to accomplish that. (skimmer would never lift that!!) I really want to get this up and running this summer for my kids trying to DIY as much as we possibly can!

I had a Hayward 1.5 superpump and have read a number of posts about buying a 2-speed motor to save electricity $$$ (I'm in!!)
    Would the sand filter really need to be replaced or for plumbing purposes new would be better.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

20x40 vinyl lined, 32k gal in-ground pool, Jacuzzi Sand Filter, aquabot
    30,000 gallon in ground pool
    20'x40' rectangle, single skimmer, no bottom drain
    Vinyl liner replaced on July 2 '08
    Diatomaceous Earth Filter 36 sq. ft.
    Heat pump is off and bypassed
    Converted from Baquacil on July 12, '08 to Chlorine and BBB
    Location is outer Baltimore, Hon.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Vandalized Pool

Welcome to TFP!!!!

This is a horrible way to introduce yourself to the forum. Sorry to hear about your mess.

I agree that a 2-speed pump would be a good route to go. If you can find the pump wet end, it may be fine and just need a new motor (2-speed) and a seal kit. Also, the sand filter is likely salvageable as well. Just empty it out and inspect the canister and laterals for damage and replace the pieces if needed. Hopefully you will just need to stand it back up and put it back together.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'm sorry about your pool equipment! That is terrible!

I can't help with the equipment, but I would certainly be trying to drag a net along the bottom to see if you can find the pump motor. You probably will have to do that any way to get up any solids.
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW Louisiana

Again sorry to hear about your misfortune, on the equipment side you can probably replace the pump with a 2 speed 1.5 HP unit for around $500 mail order / ebay, etc. and depending on what type of filter, probably another $500 or so
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

5. Back To Top    #5
    Silver Spring, MD

Just to elaborate on what some of the others already said. Turning a sand filter on it's side while it is full of sand will often break laterals, so you will need to inspect them carefully for cracks. That is the only thing that would normally break (though no guarantees), and they are designed to be serviced, so not a big deal to fix if you have the sand out anyway.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but welcome to TFP!

What a lousy thing to come home too!
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr