CYA way over 100

Aug 10, 2013
Stockton, Ca.
My CYA test can't be measured because it becomes too cloudy before it reaches any numbers (so its well over 100). MY pool looks fine but I decided to run tests when my regular chlorine test came up off the charts for a few weeks. I had been putting alot of chlorine in it because I was to busy to give it attention. What should I do????

TC=26.5(FC 26.5; CC=0)
TA 120
CH= not needed
CYA really can't measure cause never reaches numbers on measuring cylinder
PH 7
:(

PS the filtration presure is only around 8PSI cause i apparently am sucking in air somewhere.

Unfortunately the only way to reduce your CYA is to drain and fill ... although you don't want to drain and fill all at once - it is better to do smaller replacements.

How are you adding chlorine?

Like the others have said I see a major water replacement in your future, while CYA does break down over time it is at such a slow rate ( a few percent per year) that water replacement or reverse osmosis treatment (available in few parts of the country) are the only ways to lower it in an operating pool.

Ike

p.s. you may want to check on the RO treatment option as it is available in some parts of southern California, price though will likely be comparable to water replacement

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Same boat as you last year - using TFPC to keep up with your water is not possible with astronomical CYA levels (in my opinion) EDIT: wasn't possible for me to do so, I should say
Did a total refill b/c replaced our liner this year and couldn't be happier - can now finally take of my water like a normal person! FREE from the constant CYA additions thanks to years of horrible pool store advice.

Good luck !

I just measured a friends pool @ 160-180 on CYA. I found that the CYA bottle holds approx 15ml to the bottom of the sticker, so I put ~7.5ml of pool water and 7.5ml of tap water, then I added the chemical as normal to obtain that reading.

I told him he should bring some of his water to my pool after I finish so I can have some of his spare CYA. :p

How will the extended test measure the cya level when it still only goes to 100?? When mine is obviously over 100?? The directions doesn't tell me what to do after I redo the test with part tap water, e.g. double the value, etc

If your CYA level is 90 or higher, repeat the test adjusting the procedure as follows:
Fill the mixing bottle to the lower mark with pool water.
Continue filling the mixing bottle to the upper mark with tap water.
Shake briefly to mix.
Pour off half of the contents of the mixing bottle, so it is again filled to the lower mark.
Continue the test normally from step 3, but multiply the final result by two.

This is cut and paste from the extended directions, are you saying that after diluting with tap water you still get over 100? (doubled that would be 200+ if I understand those directions correctly) You may be waayy over... I think I've read here of people diluting even more, but I don't know the specifics. No matter what you're going to have to replace water.

And again, I'll step back to let the experts chime in.

Well then, try this:

put one part pool water and two parts tap water together and mix. It doesn't matter how much of each, as long as you're precise. Use a measuring spoon or something if you don't have a graduated cylinder. Then use that diluted sample to fill the CYA mixing bottle to the line. Then fill the rest of the way with the reagent and mix. Take several readings, pouring the solution back into the mixing bottle and repeating it until you're content with the number. Triple it. You'll probably be +/- 20, but it's close enough to calculate how much you need to drain off.

Have you been chlorinating with pucks and pwders?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.