Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Using orange or lemon juice to clean "pool ring"?

Using orange or lemon juice to clean "pool ring"?

Because I used "froggy" for a brief period of time, I have a "pool ring" at the water line from the copper algaecide and the silver in the froggy. I do not have any other discoloring in the pool, just at the water line. I know that ascorbic acid gets metal stains out, and I know that citrus is high in ascorbic acid. So can I use orange or lemon juice (pulp free) to get this ring off, or should I just get some ascorbic acid?
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

Re: Using orange or lemon juice to clean "pool ring"?

If you have a couple of lemons that aren't busy decorating a cold drink, try one in an area and see how well it does. If the ring is black/ brown, try a paste of baking soda on a green kitchen scrubbie

Please let us know how the lemon works!
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

I had the time today to clean the pool ring with lemons. It worked great! What I did was allow the water level to evaporate to a little below the pool ring (water evaporation rate is very high here), scrub the ring with lemon sections (ends or cross sections) and then immediately follow it with a non-scratch scrubbie!
    Above ground soft side Omega pool
    20 feet diameter, 4 feet deep
    Hayward sand filter
    Hayward 1 HP Matrix pump
    Hayward Aquabug Automatic Pool Cleaner

Glad it worked! Thank you for the field report
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)