Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: cant get it clean

1. Back To Top    #1

Exclamation cant get it clean

so heres my dumbness... my 14 ft intex was pretty much left uncovered last cold season so between then and 2 days ago, oh my god the **** in there....I swear so many leafs I could fill 2 outdoor garbage bags and im sure im not done yet and so much slimey gunck a vac and my newly installed 633 2500 gph pump cant handle it....the filter gets gloged in less then 3 minutes, so ive started to drain the pool and it should be done by later today, I thought id go in there and get out as much as I can with my net and ewwwwww my hands and then fill it up, im not rich so what can I use (products) to keep my water nice and clear and clean other then a cover once it gets cold again? and should I run my 633 pump 4 hours a day?.....as many helpful comments will help thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: cant get it clean

Here in Louisiana many people just maintain their pools all year long, just at a reduced level in the winter so as to avoid the mess you have now
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Follow the closing procedures described in Pool School with a cover and you should not have as much issues opening up again.

To clear it up, you could just scoop out what you can then follow the SLAM Process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

For a pool that size - assuming water isn't too expensive - you are probably better off doing a drain/refill. I didn't close my pool for the winter, but I do take care to look at it several times a week and scoop out anything that falls in there. If we had trees then I would invest in a cover, but no trees means that I just scoop things out after a storm, before anything has time to start becoming food for algae.
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks for the tips.....I do have a tree right by the pool so ill have to trim it back some....any ideas on products too I can use other then shock?

6. Back To Top    #6

Define "shock"?

We nearly always recommend using liquid chlorine / bleach for any chlorine needs.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Read pool school - find the link at the bottom of jblizzle's signature above! It will help you learn about keeping your pool clear!
    SwimNPlay AG 15x33 oval 48" high 12k gallons - Used pool set up July 2013
    Hayward sand filter, Sta-Rite 3/4 HP pump
    Kleen Machine Robot, TF-100 test kit
    Central NC

8. Back To Top    #8

You need to clean it as thoroughly as possible. Anything that is left behind in the pool is going to use up chlorine, and/or clog your filters. Once you have cleaned the pool as much as you can, then follow the SLAM process (see Pool School).
    20k gal, IG gunnite plaster + spa, 2 HP Whisperflo pump, Pentair 520 sq ft catridge filter
    Pentair Min Max NT heater. Intelli-touch i5 controller, Ultrapure ozone (currently disabled), Rainbow 320 chlorinator
    Small water feature, Water slide. Poolvergnuegen 2WD suction cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

thanks again guys I really appreciate it.....whats usually the amount of liquid bleach to use in a pool if I can ask