New Pool Owner

Apr 19, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hey all. I have already posted in the "Defeating Algea" section (Dark Green Pool) before I saw this one, so I'll post here too.

I moved into my brothers old house, where they had a pool. So I am a new pool owner jumping into the deep end. I've never taken care of a pool and it's a little overwhelming when you look at all the information you need to know. I'm sure that I will change my mind and say it's fairly simple once I start doing it a little bit. It's a 18' X 18' X 4' round above ground vinyl pool. It has a Intex sand filter and pump and an Intex SWG. I have already been pretty much living on this forum trying to absorb all the information I can, which is much better than going to a pool store in my opinion. I went there first to figure out what to do about my above ground swamp and the clerk walked to the back grabbed a few bags of chemicals and said "put this in, it'll fix it." Thankfully I found this site before I did, I'm the kind of person that likes to know why you're doing something instead of just doing it because this person said so. So, many thanks to all of you already!

Welcome to the forum! :wave:

primaeq said:
I'm the kind of person that likes to know why you're doing something instead of just doing it because this person said so.
At TFP, we are all about knowing the proper amount of what chemical to add and its impact on the water. So, you have come to the right place. Here's a good primer to get you started: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to TFP primaeq! Hope you enjoy the site and experience a TFP this summer!