Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Pool Owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool Owner

Hey all. I have already posted in the "Defeating Algea" section (Dark Green Pool) before I saw this one, so I'll post here too.

I moved into my brothers old house, where they had a pool. So I am a new pool owner jumping into the deep end. I've never taken care of a pool and it's a little overwhelming when you look at all the information you need to know. I'm sure that I will change my mind and say it's fairly simple once I start doing it a little bit. It's a 18' X 18' X 4' round above ground vinyl pool. It has a Intex sand filter and pump and an Intex SWG. I have already been pretty much living on this forum trying to absorb all the information I can, which is much better than going to a pool store in my opinion. I went there first to figure out what to do about my above ground swamp and the clerk walked to the back grabbed a few bags of chemicals and said "put this in, it'll fix it." Thankfully I found this site before I did, I'm the kind of person that likes to know why you're doing something instead of just doing it because this person said so. So, many thanks to all of you already!
    18' X 18' X 4' Round Above Ground Vinyl Pool (7600 gallons). Intex Sand Filter and Pump. Intex SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool Owner

The......."WHY"............is one of the major points of the forum.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

You came to the right place to learn and get lots of help

Welcome to the forum
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP !
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by primaeq
    I'm the kind of person that likes to know why you're doing something instead of just doing it because this person said so.
    At TFP, we are all about knowing the proper amount of what chemical to add and its impact on the water. So, you have come to the right place. Here's a good primer to get you started: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by BoDarville View Post
    Here's a good primer to get you started: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry.
    Yea, I tried to read all of the Pool School topics before I even thought about touching the pool. This site is QUITE helpful, I think I would be pulling my hair out by now, if not for this site and the help of so many knowledgable people! So like I've already said, many thanks to all of you!
    18' X 18' X 4' Round Above Ground Vinyl Pool (7600 gallons). Intex Sand Filter and Pump. Intex SWG.

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to TFP primaeq! Hope you enjoy the site and experience a TFP this summer!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter