Pump Size, Single, Vs, Two speed.

Mar 7, 2014
Georgia
Hello, I am building a new IG liner pool. Its roughly 45-48k gallon salt water pool. PB wants to do a 2hp single speed pump. I have qty of 2 1-1/2" line skimmers, Qty of 1 1-1/2" line drain, I have four returns via jets in steps, jets in swim out, and three spray jets that are right above water line. Looking at a 310 hayward filter. I would like to do either a two speed or Vs. Need opinions and options please. Thanks in advance.

It's not exactly what you asked but your pump seems a little overkill and I would increase the size of your pipes to 2".

The overkill pump is quite common for PB's and your operating costs go up. A full service 1 or 1.5 HP 2 speed is what I would suggest for a pool that size and the increase in 2" pipes should add VERY little to your overall costs.

You certainly want a two speed. Your electrical rates are too low to justify a variable speed, which won't pay back it's initial investment.

The 2 HP pump may or may not be required to get the jets/features to look right, probably is, but at least with a two speed you can run on low speed and save a fair amount on electrical costs most of the time.

Thanks for reply so far. Does the 310 size filter look like it would be correct size for pool this size? Also change of subject here but he has plumbed it for a Polaris but I am thinking about a robotic and making electrical connection in the middle of the Y. With a pool this large was wondering if the robotic would work good with it being a L shape pool or go with Polaris. I think energy saving would offset cost. Maybe i'm wrong. Cant go to 2" as builder has 1-1/2" and has been back filled.

The Hayward 310 sand filter is a reasonable size for that pool. That is about the largest sand filter made for residential use, which is good.

The larger the pool the more you want a robotic cleaner. Robotic cleaners can handle larger pools than pressure side cleaners. You should look at a high end residential or low end commercial robot given the pool size.

That is a really big pool, to me that filter seems a bit small ... no one has ever regretted a bigger filter. Might consider the Pentair Triton TR140 sand filter or a really big cartridge filter.

Seems so silly that they would not use larger pipes for the minor cost increase ... although with 3 suction lines to the pad, 1.5" is likely fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
usu6ehub.jpg
ubeqytup.jpg
3azuge9e.jpg

Getting ready to put plumbing and electrical in pool pavilion which is 20x32. Started filling in around concrete. Footer for travertine coping going in next.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.