opening pool

also do I need to worry about CC right off the bat or just focus on keeping FC at 10??
Realistically, you don't really need to worry about CC until the water starts looking clear. There are three tests that tell you when the SLAM is done. Only one is CC. So if the water isn't clear, you still need to maintain SLAM levels, and CC isn't especially important. On the other hand, it would be nice to know when the Ammonia is finally broken down. Maybe check CC once a day?

Whether CCs skyrocket or not, FC is going to be your limiting factor. I would dose to 10, then test 30 min later. If it holds pretty well, dose to 10 again, and start testing for CCs. If it drops substantially in that first half hour, CCs are kinda irrelevant. Redose to 10 and repeat this process until the FC starts to hold.

ok. well I was a bit skeptical about the CYA reading 0. I guess I wanted to get a second opinion so I had the water tested and they gave me a cya reading of 40!! Considering that CYA is the main player in the pool game I am not sure how to proceed with chlorine levels. I have ordered new reagent for cya but they wont be here by tomorrow. I CERTAINLY dont want to add stablizer if my reading is in fact 40. So should I base my SLAM levels at 0 cya or 40? Or maybe inbetween at 20? I hate playing a guessing game but I am a bit perplexed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok. well I was a bit skeptical about the CYA reading 0. I guess I wanted to get a second opinion so I had the water tested and they gave me a cya reading of 40!! Considering that CYA is the main player in the pool game I am not sure how to proceed with chlorine levels. I have ordered new reagent for cya but they wont be here by tomorrow. I CERTAINLY dont want to add stablizer if my reading is in fact 40. So should I base my SLAM levels at 0 cya or 40? Or maybe inbetween at 20? I hate playing a guessing game but I am a bit perplexed.
Let me guess-- you took it to leslies to test, they are notoriously terrible at giving accurate cya results. For example, they said my cya was 40 every time I took a sample to them for over a Month. When I got my test kit after diluting the sample 3 times, I discovered it was actually over 340. Actually, most all pool stores are lousy.

well that is the tricky part. I tested my CYA 3 times and got 0. My reagent sat out over the winter thought maybe it was bad because last year I battled high CYA and ended the year with 70. Hated to but I took a samle to the pool store and they got a reading of 40. Im skeptical about actually adding CYA at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah I agree, Im just truly perplexed. I HATE to add stablizer if I truly have even 30 ppm. It has caused me so many issues. Any suggestions???????

- - - Updated - - -

If I SLAM with the assumption of 0 and I have 40 then Im not adding enough bleach!! If I slam with the assumption of 40 and I truly have 0 what happens?

- - - Updated - - -

I just tested again and got 6ppm!! Only added 2 gallons this time around.

well that is the tricky part. I tested my CYA 3 times and got 0. My reagent sat out over the winter thought maybe it was bad because last year I battled high CYA and ended the year with 70. Hated to but I took a samle to the pool store and they got a reading of 40. Im skeptical about actually adding CYA at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

yeah I agree, Im just truly perplexed. I HATE to add stablizer if I truly have even 30 ppm. It has caused me so many issues. Any suggestions???????

- - - Updated - - -

If I SLAM with the assumption of 0 and I have 40 then Im not adding enough bleach!! If I slam with the assumption of 40 and I truly have 0 what happens?

- - - Updated - - -

I just tested again and got 6ppm!! Only added 2 gallons this time around.
You'll continue to burn up bleach! You really need to get your cya up to 30. You need to trust your test!

ok my FC is 5 and my CC is 5. Would this mean that the 18 gallons of bleach I added over the last 4 hours is not killing the algae. I thought I had a general understanding of this but Im frusterated.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been trying to clear out as much as I can see, I cant see ANYTHING at the deep end. I have already used the vac.

Just keep going. The FC is breaking stuff down into CC and the the CC will also be broken down by the FC and the sun. You have to keep going until the CC are < 0.5ppm and you pass the other 2 criteria.

Do you have a leaf rake (net). You really need one if you don't have one. Just do your best to drag it along the bottom, even if you can't see it. When you say vacuum, do you mean a Polaris or some other cleaner? The pole mounted one I have, has not worked well for me, so I rely on my Polaris cleaner which wouldn't do much of a job cleaning a swamp.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.