LifeTime Supporter
Apr 3, 2012
Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm in process of installing our 30' round above ground pool. I will hard pipe everything and install a main drain. Where I can purchase a valve that will be able to switch between main drain and skimmer? Can I just purchase it at my local hardware store together with all the PVC piping? Or I need to look at the pool supply stores?

Just about any hardware store will sell valves that you could use, but hardly any of them sell the kind of valve that you really want to use. If possible get a Jandy Never Lube three way valve, or one of the Pentair or Hayward clone valves. They are more expensive, but they are also much easier to use and more reliable over the long run than anything else you can get.

I would order such a valve over the Internet, but most pool stores will have them.

Great. My uncle showed me a valve on his pool. But he said they install it with the pool so he don't know where to get one. I will definitely order one online. Pretty sure it is cheaper then in the store

- - - Updated - - -

Pentair or Hayward clone valves.
Can you point me to a specific valve? Post like a link here or something?

Glue in is better, far less likely to have leaks. There is the disadvantage that it is more work to change the plumbing around later, but leaking threaded connections are such a pain that it is best to completely avoid that risk.

Note that for the Jandy valves, the Neverlube are black CPVC and the grey PVC are cheaper with less warranty. I noticed that one of those links was for a grey PVC valve will may be a little lower quality.

Also, the valves are sized with numbers like 1.5/2 or 2/2.5 ... the first number is the pipe size that will slip inside. I would suggest matching the valve to the pipe size you are going to use. If using 1.5" pipe, get the 1.5/2 valves. If using 2" pipe, get the 2/2.5 valves.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Note that for the Jandy valves, the Neverlube are black CPVC and the grey PVC are cheaper with less warranty. I noticed that one of those links was for a grey PVC valve will may be a little lower quality.

Also, the valves are sized with numbers like 1.5/2 or 2/2.5 ... the first number is the pipe size that will slip inside. I would suggest matching the valve to the pipe size you are going to use. If using 1.5" pipe, get the 1.5/2 valves. If using 2" pipe, get the 2/2.5 valves.
Okay. What do you recommend to use ? 1.5" or 2" or something else?

My pool runs with a single 1.5" suction and return line, although would move more water if the pipes were bigger.
Certainly would not hurt anything to use 2" besides a little added cost, although might be over-kill depending on your pump size and desired water flow rate.

That is why I ask first before I buy :) . As you previously mentioned 1.5" or 2" piping might be good , depends on the pump size. My pump is Hayward Perflex EC50 DE Filter Its says in the manual "For pump outlet use 1-1/2" PVC pipe or reinforced hose. For pump suction on ALL models, use 1-1/2" reinforced hose" . So is it better to go with 1.5" piping all the way? If Yes then I need to find 2" MIP to 1.5" adapter?

It really does not matter what size pipe you use. Using the 2" everywhere is fine and will lower the head loss.

If you went with 1.5" pipe, you would just use a 2"/1.5" reducer bushing in the same MIP/Slip 2" fitting.

I have not decide yet but I think I will go with 2". For the main drain it is better to get flexible PVChose or rigid PVC? Or it does not matter?

The "pros" use it because it is faster and easier to install. It also costs more. There is the advantage of fewer joints, BUT that does not help if termites eat through your flex.

There are quite a few threads about how people have issues with the flew (like it splitting) but not with the rigid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.