Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: The best way to heat my pool?

The best way to heat my pool?

Hi, I need some help. One person I spoke with said that the best way is a heat pump, the next says a propane gas heater. One person says I need 115,000 BTU the other says 400,000 btu. My pool is inground 18X36. Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Richard
    21000 IG Gunite Plaster, 18'' raised spa, Jandy Cartridge, 1 HP Jandy pump, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Hayward Navigator

Re: The best way to heat my pool?

How do you want to use it? A big gas heater will warm the water quickly if you only use it on weekends. A heat pump takes longer to warm the water, but is usually cheaper to operate than gas. If you have the roof space, solar is nice, even if only to supplement a fueled heater.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Solar cover.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

A heat pump works well for me in PA. I keep the pool at between 80-85 and it runs $100/month for electricity to heat the pool. I keep the pool temp constant.
    ~Megan

I would suggest seriously looking at a solar system. I have an above ground pool but they work for in ground as well. I only installed my solar system a few months ago. I did not put much faith in it working too well. Well let me tell you how wrong I was. I am so impressed with its performance I will never be without a solar system again, no matter how big or small a pool I have. If the system is sized properly you will get more heat than you can use.

I installed 2 2x20 sungrabber panels on my south facing roof. The panels are 50 feet from the filter and 14 feet high. I plumbed it in 1 1/2" pvc with a manual bypass kit. After I initially turned everything on and made sure I did not have too much back pressure, about 2-3 pounds, I took the floating thermometer and placed it in the return stream. The water returning to the poll was 2 degrees higher than the water itself. This temp increase was sustained. About 2 hours later I found a few leaks in one panel, damaged. I have only been running 1 panel since, waiting on the warranty replacement. I have had the pool up to 92 degrees after 3 good sunny days. I keep a solar cover on when no one is in the pool to help retain the heat.

Oh, did I mention it costs nothing to run. Can't beat the price of free heat.

I love my solar panels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Thanks,
    Brian

18' round x 52" vinyl AGP holding aprox. 7633 gallons of crystal clear sparkling water, most of the time. Hayward 180 sand filter, 1 hp pump and 2-2x20 Fafco panels is parallel.

Solar cover and 200k+ heater works well for us.. and we are in MN.
    15,500g Rectangle IG Sport Pool

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosill
    I would suggest seriously looking at a solar system. I have an above ground pool but they work for in ground as well. I only installed my solar system a few months ago. I did not put much faith in it working too well. Well let me tell you how wrong I was. I am so impressed with its performance I will never be without a solar system again, no matter how big or small a pool I have. If the system is sized properly you will get more heat than you can use.

I installed 2 2x20 sungrabber panels on my south facing roof. The panels are 50 feet from the filter and 14 feet high. I plumbed it in 1 1/2" pvc with a manual bypass kit. After I initially turned everything on and made sure I did not have too much back pressure, about 2-3 pounds, I took the floating thermometer and placed it in the return stream. The water returning to the poll was 2 degrees higher than the water itself. This temp increase was sustained. About 2 hours later I found a few leaks in one panel, damaged. I have only been running 1 panel since, waiting on the warranty replacement. I have had the pool up to 92 degrees after 3 good sunny days. I keep a solar cover on when no one is in the pool to help retain the heat.

Oh, did I mention it costs nothing to run. Can't beat the price of free heat.

I love my solar panels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    What Macrosill said!!!

I use Solar only to heat our pool and with sun on the panels all day(9:00 am - 6:30 pm) our pool will heat from 80* to 90* with the cover on most of the day. Our pool is in the shade from about 2:00 pm on. Details for the solar are in my sig.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

Ditto on solar. NY here, I keep my temps in the high 80's with solar only, could go into the 90s if I wanted to. With the price of electricity & propane only going UP, investing in solar now makes sense (if you have the space).
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.