Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. If you have problems logging in to the new system, you should try resetting your password. Click HERE to do that. Pool School

Thread: The best way to heat my pool?

The best way to heat my pool?

Hi, I need some help. One person I spoke with said that the best way is a heat pump, the next says a propane gas heater. One person says I need 115,000 BTU the other says 400,000 btu. My pool is inground 18X36. Can anyone help me?

Thanks, Richard
    21000 IG Gunite Plaster, 18'' raised spa, Jandy Cartridge, 1 HP Jandy pump, Jandy AquaPure 1400 SWG, Hayward Navigator

Re: The best way to heat my pool?

How do you want to use it? A big gas heater will warm the water quickly if you only use it on weekends. A heat pump takes longer to warm the water, but is usually cheaper to operate than gas. If you have the roof space, solar is nice, even if only to supplement a fueled heater.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Solar cover.
    Helpful links: Pool School; The Pool Calculator; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    NO LONGER FRUSTRATED thanks to TFP.com
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

A heat pump works well for me in PA. I keep the pool at between 80-85 and it runs $100/month for electricity to heat the pool. I keep the pool temp constant.
    ~Megan

I would suggest seriously looking at a solar system. I have an above ground pool but they work for in ground as well. I only installed my solar system a few months ago. I did not put much faith in it working too well. Well let me tell you how wrong I was. I am so impressed with its performance I will never be without a solar system again, no matter how big or small a pool I have. If the system is sized properly you will get more heat than you can use.

I installed 2 2x20 sungrabber panels on my south facing roof. The panels are 50 feet from the filter and 14 feet high. I plumbed it in 1 1/2" pvc with a manual bypass kit. After I initially turned everything on and made sure I did not have too much back pressure, about 2-3 pounds, I took the floating thermometer and placed it in the return stream. The water returning to the poll was 2 degrees higher than the water itself. This temp increase was sustained. About 2 hours later I found a few leaks in one panel, damaged. I have only been running 1 panel since, waiting on the warranty replacement. I have had the pool up to 92 degrees after 3 good sunny days. I keep a solar cover on when no one is in the pool to help retain the heat.

Oh, did I mention it costs nothing to run. Can't beat the price of free heat.

I love my solar panels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    Thanks,
    Brian

18' round x 52" vinyl AGP holding aprox. 7633 gallons of crystal clear sparkling water, most of the time. Hayward 180 sand filter, 1 hp pump and 2-2x20 Fafco panels is parallel.

Solar cover and 200k+ heater works well for us.. and we are in MN.

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosill
    I would suggest seriously looking at a solar system. I have an above ground pool but they work for in ground as well. I only installed my solar system a few months ago. I did not put much faith in it working too well. Well let me tell you how wrong I was. I am so impressed with its performance I will never be without a solar system again, no matter how big or small a pool I have. If the system is sized properly you will get more heat than you can use.

I installed 2 2x20 sungrabber panels on my south facing roof. The panels are 50 feet from the filter and 14 feet high. I plumbed it in 1 1/2" pvc with a manual bypass kit. After I initially turned everything on and made sure I did not have too much back pressure, about 2-3 pounds, I took the floating thermometer and placed it in the return stream. The water returning to the poll was 2 degrees higher than the water itself. This temp increase was sustained. About 2 hours later I found a few leaks in one panel, damaged. I have only been running 1 panel since, waiting on the warranty replacement. I have had the pool up to 92 degrees after 3 good sunny days. I keep a solar cover on when no one is in the pool to help retain the heat.

Oh, did I mention it costs nothing to run. Can't beat the price of free heat.

I love my solar panels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    What Macrosill said!!!

I use Solar only to heat our pool and with sun on the panels all day(9:00 am - 6:30 pm) our pool will heat from 80* to 90* with the cover on most of the day. Our pool is in the shade from about 2:00 pm on. Details for the solar are in my sig.

HTH,
    Adam
    18' x 42" Intex Easyset Pool, with 16' x 52" deep end in the middle. Approx. 5500 Gal.
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1 HP, 100# Jacuzzi Brand Sand Filter(Piped underground so it looks nice) 8)
    3 - 2' x 20' Solar Pool Heater Panels(roof mounted)
    Goin' on 9 summers...NOBODY thought it would last this long.
    Buried Portable Spa sharing pumps and water with pool (Almost complete project)

Ditto on solar. NY here, I keep my temps in the high 80's with solar only, could go into the 90s if I wanted to. With the price of electricity & propane only going UP, investing in solar now makes sense (if you have the space).
    20 x 40 vinyl IG. SWG. Solar. Ikeric VS pump.