Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Dump used reagents in pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Dump used reagents in pool?

I know the instructions say not to do it, but do any of you clean testing vials etc in the pool after testing? What type of harm would this lead to?
    15k gal, Pebbltec. Built in 2004. 2 HP Pump, Cartridge Filter, Hayward SWG, Hayward Navigator Cleaner, TF-100 / Orlando, Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Dump used reagents in pool?

At least one of the reagents is a known carcinogen. In practice the amounts are so small that I can't imagine it making any difference, but who wants to add carcinogens for no reason?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I always test in the house at the kitchen sink and dump there. Much easier than poolside.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I always test in the house at the kitchen sink and dump there. Much easier than poolside.
    Me too.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Me too.
    +3
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I test poolside. I have a dedicated sample container the holds more than enough for a full battery of tests plus enough to rinse all the test equipment. No, I don't rinse in the pool.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

7. Back To Top    #7

I use an old CYA reagent bottle from TF Testkits to get a water sample. This makes it's very easy to dispense the proper amounts. It also holds enough for all the tests with plenty extra to rinse everything.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

8. Back To Top    #8

I dump used reagents down the drain with the faucet running. If you have a utility sink at your disposal, that's even better than using the kitchen sink.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JesseWV View Post
    I use an old CYA reagent bottle from TF Testkits to get a water sample. This makes it's very easy to dispense the proper amounts. It also holds enough for all the tests with plenty extra to rinse everything.
    This is an awesome idea!
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by JesseWV View Post
    I was at Leslie's once getting some stabilizer and the clerk gave me one of their pool water sample bottles. I said thanks and that's what I use for my water sample for testing. It is a nice bottle.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk View Post
    I was at Leslie's once getting some stabilizer and the clerk gave me one of their pool water sample bottles. I said thanks and that's what I use for my water sample for testing. It is a nice bottle.
    I got two that the previous owners had. I can't imagine testing without it.

For anyone who wants one, they have several sizes on amazon and I'm sure all over the place, elsewhere.

http://www.amazon.com/16oz-Plastic-B...2Q5DJGERBZP642

12. Back To Top    #12

Something like these are even nicer:
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Oooh and I thought my bottles were nice. Those with the spouts would be awesome!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Me too.
    Me three!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

15. Back To Top    #15

In the spirit of one-up-manship, looks like I need to upgrade to this for taking samples.
    16k gal, 28'x3.5', Vinyl A/G, 1hp Pentair Dynamo 2-speed Pump, Hayward S160T Sand Filter, Intermatic HB800RCL Digital Timer, Intex 8110 SWG, TF-100 Test Kit, SpeedStir Author: Jesse's Graphical Pool Testing Log

16. Back To Top    #16

Gold is a good choice. It won't contaminate your sample.
    20,000 gal in-ground plaster pool with sand filter. Replastered recently. Mostly adding bleach and acid. CYA was high when I took over.

17. Back To Top    #17

Does that gold one come with a genie that interprets results? Sounds very "pool store" like to me!
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

18. Back To Top    #18

DANG... And here I use a cheap water bottle!

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

19. Back To Top    #19

And here I have been holding water cupped in my hand the whole time.
    40 x 16 IG Vinyl. Goldline SWG
    160 Sq Ft Roof mounted solar array
    2014 Hydropool Serenity 5000 Hot Tub
    The Pool School- A great place to start
    Jason's Pool calculator