Need a new pump

jdfrye

Apr 7, 2013
Southern California
Split off of here. Please ask questions in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's existing topic. JasonLion

The Original Poster and I have the SAME exact pool and motor specs not to mention the situation. I also cant wrap my head around downsizing to a 3/4. Was looking at the Whisperflo 011772 1HP

Re: Pump Selection Help

jdfrye, you can save a lot of money by getting a two speed and running it on low speed. Also, WhisperFlo pumps are quite large compared to their listed HP. You are much better off with something like the SuperFlo, which is smaller (despite the having the same listed HP). All assuming you don't have a spa or waterfall or other obvious water feature.

Smaller pumps are more efficient. A two speed on low will save around 50% on electricity.

Re: Pump Selection Help

Sorry for the HiJacking :( I seem to do that in real life also.
I like that you gave me a name for the superflo, now should i get the 3/4 or 1hp?
and do you have a name for the two speed pump you suggested? That way I can look into it. it might be also good that I could switch to high when I add a 30 foot hose for vacuuming.

Would the Pentair superflo 340042 - 2 speed 1 HP pump be what I'm looking for?
pool.jpg

Installed the pump and I'm amazed at how quiet it is. I'm running it at low and wonder how much energy I'm using? I know That I'm paying .10 -.18 cents KWH. what is the formula for this pump to figure how much it costs to run for an hour at half speed and full speed? Do I need to know what the watts are like the poster above me?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To know what you are drawing you would need an electrical clamp meter as the load on an electrical motor will vary the amount of power it draws and load will vary some depending on your plumbing.

Ike

Your plumbing is probably close to "curve a," which is supposed to be for typical 1-1/2" plumbing. For curve a, the pump database has the following data for the 1hp two speed Superflo pump:

High Speed: 3450 rpm, 56 gpm, 1378 watts
Low speed: 1725 rpm, 31 gpm, 322 watts

An hour at high speed will cost you in the neighborhood of 14 to 25 cents
An hour at low speed will cost you in the neighborhood of 3 to 6 cents.

That is based on 10 to 18 cents per kWh.

The exact numbers would change depending on your plumbing's resistance to flow, but these are probably good enough to get a rough idea of costs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.