Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need a new pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Need a new pump

Split off of here. Please ask questions in your own topic, rather than hijacking someone else's existing topic. JasonLion

The Original Poster and I have the SAME exact pool and motor specs not to mention the situation. I also cant wrap my head around downsizing to a 3/4. Was looking at the Whisperflo 011772 1HP
    17000 gl. In-ground vinyl pool
    Naturesoft/aquarite SWG t-15 cell
    Vinyl liner measured and installed by me

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Selection Help

jdfrye, you can save a lot of money by getting a two speed and running it on low speed. Also, WhisperFlo pumps are quite large compared to their listed HP. You are much better off with something like the SuperFlo, which is smaller (despite the having the same listed HP). All assuming you don't have a spa or waterfall or other obvious water feature.

Smaller pumps are more efficient. A two speed on low will save around 50% on electricity.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pump Selection Help

Sorry for the HiJacking I seem to do that in real life also.
    I like that you gave me a name for the superflo, now should i get the 3/4 or 1hp?
    and do you have a name for the two speed pump you suggested? That way I can look into it. it might be also good that I could switch to high when I add a 30 foot hose for vacuuming.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Need a new pump

There are 2 speed versions of the Superflo. It is difficult to find the ¾HP which is 115 volt, but the 1HP which is 230v is usually a good choice.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Would the Pentair superflo 340042 - 2 speed 1 HP pump be what I'm looking for?

6. Back To Top    #6

That is what I have. Comes with union fittings and manual speed selection switch.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh YEah! we have confirmation from a Pro!
    Oh, Lizzle! I love your Andy Avatar going for the freestyle win. my kinda style
    Thanks Jason and JB!

8. Back To Top    #8

I have a Hayward variable speed. At 1500 rpm which is half speed it draws only 194 watts.

12 x 26 Viking FG IG, Bermuda Model, 3 1/2' to 5', 7000 Gallons, Diamond Series Maya, Hayward 1 1/2 HP Maxflo VS, Hayward Stay Clear Plus Cart Filter C17502(S), Hayward Aqua Rite SWG w/T3 cell, Color Changing FIBERSTAR Lighting, Aqua Bot Supreme Robotic cleaner, Brushed Concrete with CCI Liberty Tan color, Taylor K-2006 test kit, Armor Foundation penetrating concrete sealer(lifetime warranty).

9. Back To Top    #9

Installed the pump and I'm amazed at how quiet it is. I'm running it at low and wonder how much energy I'm using? I know That I'm paying .10 -.18 cents KWH. what is the formula for this pump to figure how much it costs to run for an hour at half speed and full speed? Do I need to know what the watts are like the poster above me?

10. Back To Top    #10

The trick is to figure out the watts as that is your cost. But, it is not straight forward to figure out as it is a function of the head loss in your specific pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

To know what you are drawing you would need an electrical clamp meter as the load on an electrical motor will vary the amount of power it draws and load will vary some depending on your plumbing.

Ike
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

12. Back To Top    #12

Bahhhh! Shucks! to hard to figure.

13. Back To Top    #13

Your plumbing is probably close to "curve a," which is supposed to be for typical 1-1/2" plumbing. For curve a, the pump database has the following data for the 1hp two speed Superflo pump:

High Speed: 3450 rpm, 56 gpm, 1378 watts
    Low speed: 1725 rpm, 31 gpm, 322 watts

An hour at high speed will cost you in the neighborhood of 14 to 25 cents
    An hour at low speed will cost you in the neighborhood of 3 to 6 cents.

That is based on 10 to 18 cents per kWh.

The exact numbers would change depending on your plumbing's resistance to flow, but these are probably good enough to get a rough idea of costs.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG