Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Crack on top step in fiberglass pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Crack on top step in fiberglass pool

I just opened my pool and found that there is now a round crack on the top step of the pool and it is about 3/4" to 1" in diameter. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    10,000 gal Inground Fiberglass Pool;Aquarite SWG; Hayward H Series Gas Heater;
    Hayward Sand Filter; 1.5 HP Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump; Dolphin Pool Cleaner; TF100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Crack on top step in fiberglass pool

I don't think there is an easy fix short of removing the steps and having a fibreglass place refinish it all.

Perhaps epoxy will give you a patch but it will be visible and may or may not hold.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The steps are part of the pool so they can't be removed. I guess I will try epoxy.
    Hayward Sand Filter; 1.5 HP Hayward Max-Flo VS Pump; Dolphin Pool Cleaner; TF100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

We are talking about a crack on the step and not the wall correct?

There are several threads here about repairing small cracks in fiberglass pools.

I would also call the manufacturer and see what their procedure is. Maybe get a bid.

But my main concern would be why?

Has the material under the step washed away so that you are stressing the step more than its designed for?

is there more flex there than previously?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Yes, the crack is on the step. As far as I know the material under the step hasn't washed away and there is no more flex than there was previously. I would just like to have it fixed so that it looks nice. I will probably call the place that installed the people and see what they recommend.

6. Back To Top    #6

I encourage you to look around on the forum -- there are several threads on how to repair fiberglass cracks. I also encourage you to call the manufacturer and get a rep out to look at it. I would be mosy\t concerned with why it happened.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

I took your advice and contacted Viking Pools. I sent them a picture of the crack and they have no idea what caused. They said they it would be a simple fix for them to do and they are going to send me a quote to repair it at cost.