Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Checking in

1. Back To Top    #1

Checking in

Hi. Y'all were so helpful to us as we were getting set up. I wanted to post again with our weekly test results. They've been pretty consistent the last 2-3 week.
    FC 2.5, CC 0.5, TC 3.0
    CH 400
    TA 170
    CYA 35 (down just this week, had been holding steady at 40)
    pH 7.8 (our well water is slightly alkaline and tests at about 7.2-7.4)

How do these numbers look? And how often should I expect to be adding bleach to the pool? Is there a frequency that would be concerning, or is it just, do it as needed and keep TC in the right range?

Thanks so much!

Natalie
    Supercal
    18,000 gallons, above ground pool, vinyl liner. Swim Pro SW256T Sand Filter, 80GPM, 35 GMP/ftsq
    More than 3 years old
    Well water

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Checking in

More chlorine!! Everything else looks fine, but with a CYA of 35, you should never let your FC get below 3. I'm conservative, so if I were you, when the FC gets to 4, add more so it goes to 6. It's important, so I'll say it again....never let the FC get below 3.

Plan on adding bleach every day until you get the feel for your pool.

Did I mention that you should do whatever is necessary to keep your FC above 3 at all times?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

It's all right here. Saves me some typing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Richard,
    Unless I'm missing something, did you post the wrong link?
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

5. Back To Top    #5

That's the basic schedule. You asked how often you should be chlorinating.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Natalie,

Even though this thread is a few day's old, I'm not sure that all your questions have been clearly answered. As Smykowski stated, you're low FC level is putting you at risk for algae to form in your pool. Keep your chlorine levels above 3 at all times. I'd personally suggest at this point aiming for a 5ppm level. This allows for some normal FC lose, however will always keep you above the 3ppm level. You should be testing your chlorine and pH levels daily and adjusting as needed.

How does your water look?? Can you post a photo???

WELCOME TO TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

As Leebo said...at least the FC and Ph should turn into "daily" test numbers instead of weekly until you get a feel for what your pool requires. Summer heat changes everything!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

8. Back To Top    #8

We do test the chlorine and pH daily, I merely posted the weekly numbers because they have been pretty consistent. Thank you for the chlorine advice. I raised it to 6 and will aim to keep it in the 5-6 range on a daily basis. Our water is clear, though we continue to have issues with stuff on the bottom of the pool, but our property has a lot of trees, so this may just be a constant battle for us. I will post a picture later today.
    Supercal
    18,000 gallons, above ground pool, vinyl liner. Swim Pro SW256T Sand Filter, 80GPM, 35 GMP/ftsq
    More than 3 years old
    Well water