timer/swg/pump question

Feb 27, 2014
oklahoma
ok here is what i am planning but I am new to the timer/swg stuff. I have a pool with a 2 speed pump. plan to run the low speed through the timer and have a switch to kick it up to high speed for times i use the pool cleaner/vacuum etc wired separately. how does this all work with the swg? can i always run the swg only at low speed or will there be times it will need to be run on high? if so I guess I could wire a 3 position switch between the timer and the pump and toggle between high and low? hope I am making sense here. not good at writing this out, probably need to figure out a way to draw it. any help is appreciated.

ok here is where i am stuck i have the following pump
Jandy FHPM1.0-2 FloPro Medium Head 1HP Up-Rated Dual Speed Pool Pump, 230V
i want to put a dpdt switch to go from high to low. i have not been able to find one anywhere. do you know where there might be one? maybe grainger? also not sure what amperage I will need for the switch.

One of the 230v lines goes directly to the motor. The other line goes to the common on the switch. Then 2 wires go from the switch to the low and high speed terminals on the motor.

Only one leg of the power is used to select the speed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Intermatic T104R timer only has a simple on off switch. It can turn the pump on and off on a schedule, but it can't be used to change speeds.

An Intermatic T106R has the correct kind of switch to change speeds. However, it is unusual to want to control speed from a timer. Usually you just leave the pump on low speed and manually switch it to high speed only for things like vacuuming or backwashing the filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.