Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: timer/swg/pump question

1. Back To Top    #1

timer/swg/pump question

ok here is what i am planning but I am new to the timer/swg stuff. I have a pool with a 2 speed pump. plan to run the low speed through the timer and have a switch to kick it up to high speed for times i use the pool cleaner/vacuum etc wired separately. how does this all work with the swg? can i always run the swg only at low speed or will there be times it will need to be run on high? if so I guess I could wire a 3 position switch between the timer and the pump and toggle between high and low? hope I am making sense here. not good at writing this out, probably need to figure out a way to draw it. any help is appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: timer/swg/pump question

Most SWGs on most pools will work on low speed, but you can't be completely certain it will work until you try it.

Your plan sounds like exactly what I would recommend, go for it.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I run normal filtration/swg at about 1100 RPMs. Would be fine lower, but that's what keeps the heater from low flow error. I ramp it up to 3000 to run the cleaner.
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

ok here is where i am stuck i have the following pump
    Jandy FHPM1.0-2 FloPro Medium Head 1HP Up-Rated Dual Speed Pool Pump, 230V
    i want to put a dpdt switch to go from high to low. i have not been able to find one anywhere. do you know where there might be one? maybe grainger? also not sure what amperage I will need for the switch.

5. Back To Top    #5

You need a SPDT switch. A common 3 way home light switch works well to select speed. And they are cheap and easy to find.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

how would you wire that? i have seen how to wire the dpdt switches with a 2 speed 230 v motor how would the spdt be different.

7. Back To Top    #7

also will a 3 way household light switch handle this pump on 230v, not sure the amperage though could not find it online .

8. Back To Top    #8

One of the 230v lines goes directly to the motor. The other line goes to the common on the switch. Then 2 wires go from the switch to the low and high speed terminals on the motor.

Only one leg of the power is used to select the speed.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, that switch is good for motors up to 20 amps (which is just about every motor out there for residential pools).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

11. Back To Top    #11

can you tell if mine is 20 amp? it is on a 20 amp breaker so i would think so but the sticker on the side shows some strangely low numbers for amps it seems. sorry raining too hard to go check it out.

12. Back To Top    #12

A typical pump is around 6 amps, while a very large pump might be 15 amps, both at 230 volts. If you have a 20 amp breaker, the pump has to be equal to or smaller than 20 amps.

13. Back To Top    #13

i just saw this one is under 6 amps so it seems i would be ok with a 15 to 20 amp switch. gonna see if i can get it set up this week.

14. Back To Top    #14

been looking a bit more would the intermatic t104r do the same thing? seems like it has a switch to go between speeds am i seeing it right?

15. Back To Top    #15

The Intermatic T104R timer only has a simple on off switch. It can turn the pump on and off on a schedule, but it can't be used to change speeds.

An Intermatic T106R has the correct kind of switch to change speeds. However, it is unusual to want to control speed from a timer. Usually you just leave the pump on low speed and manually switch it to high speed only for things like vacuuming or backwashing the filter.

16. Back To Top    #16

thanks