Best choice for new pool, bacqucil or chlorine?

Why no metals? Heard it lowers the need for chlorine ?
Also curious why downsizing pump. I've got a 2hp 2 stage pump ordered for 27' round AGP semi recessed in ground. Other option w/ pool store is 1hp single stage. Can't you run the 2hp on low to achieve less hp?

Last edited:
Metals have anti-algaele (sp?) properties, but the risk is that they can cause staining. Chlorine alone is sufficient, and if used properly, the active chlorine level is very, very low.

Most pool builders really like high HP pumps, when the greatest efficiency is achieved with a very big filter and a minimized pump. The flow rate is lower, which improves filtration, and the electrical draw is reduced. I saw significant savings on my electric bill when I went from 1hp to 3/4hp. My pump run time was nearly unchanged, my pool was just as clean, and I couldn't tell a difference in the flow rate by feeling the water at the return. So basically, nothing noticeable changed in my setup except the cost to run it.

Metals (copper) can also make blond hair turn green. Chlorine is NOT your enemy, many people that have been exposed to poorly managed pools with "that chlorine smell" think chlorine is the enemy, but that in reality "that chlorine smell" is the smell of combined chlorine products, and is often caused by too low of active chlorine not too high. Here is a simple test for you, carefully sniff a jug of bleach, that is 6 - 8.25% chlorine, you don't get an overpowering "chlorine smell" that is because you are not smelling combined chlorine products. As to pumps, a 2 speed pump on low is almost always going to save you money over a single speed pump even when the single speed pump is a bit smaller. Therefore it is better to have a 2 speed 1HP pump than a 1 speed 3/4 HP.

I set up our pool last year and have only used the chlorine methods described here ... my pool has never smelled like chlorine ... I actually never knew that you could have a pool that didn't smell like chlorine unless you used salt water until I found this site. We were also under the assumption that we would spend a minimum of $600-$800 on chemicals setting up the pool for the first time ... yet, we only spent about $250 last summer and that included the new test kit. We have a much bigger budget for pool toys and beverages now! =)

I have nothing but good things to say about TFP!

I set up our pool last year and have only used the chlorine methods described here ... my pool has never smelled like chlorine ... I actually never knew that you could have a pool that didn't smell like chlorine unless you used salt water until I found this site. We were also under the assumption that we would spend a minimum of $600-$800 on chemicals setting up the pool for the first time ... yet, we only spent about $250 last summer and that included the new test kit. We have a much bigger budget for pool toys and beverages now! =)

I have nothing but good things to say about TFP!

Excellent! All the above just means you are doing it right.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.