Newbie with TF-100 results and pics

Well I tested the pH during lunch and it is still the same, > 8.2.

I ran the pump 5 hours total yesterday and it's been running since 7am CDT this morning. I went ahead and added half (10oz) of the suggested amount (20oz) of MA and I will test again when I get home from work. If it's still high, I will add the remaining 10oz. Any other suggestions? Is the pH just not holding due to the low TA?

On another note, instead of starting a new thread, can anyone ID the equipment needed for a backwash? I think this is the hose, but can anyone ID the other two pieces?

Attachments

• equip.jpg
    equip.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 123
Low TA would causw the pH to crash, not rise. I think there's two things going on:

1. Since you're reading pH as above 8.2, you have no idea how high above 8.2 it is. Remember pH is a logarithmic scale not linear, so you may need a lot of acid. Do it in baby steps like you are and it will come down.

2. In the first picture of the thread, why are there bubbles in the pool? Is that the return jet breaking the water's surface? If so, you're aerating the pool, and that is driving the pH up. Point the return jets down so you don't get the frothing.

Low TA would causw the pH to crash, not rise. I think there's two things going on:

1. Since you're reading pH as above 8.2, you have no idea how high above 8.2 it is. Remember pH is a logarithmic scale not linear, so you may need a lot of acid. Do it in baby steps like you are and it will come down.

2. In the first picture of the thread, why are there bubbles in the pool? Is that the return jet breaking the water's surface? If so, you're aerating the pool, and that is driving the pH up. Point the return jets down so you don't get the frothing.

The bubbles are from air in the line due to me opening the filter bucket. They only lasted 1-2 minutes. All returns are pointed down. I will continue with the MA as planned. Thanks!

Jackpot. pH=7.5, SLAMing starts tomorrow.

One question about the SLAM: If my CYA is truly 0, how worried do I have to be about adding too much bleach? Should I add some stabilizer first to bring my CYA up to at least a measurable level?

If your CYA is zero, I would add enough stabilizer to get to a CYA level of 30. That will help your SLAM process from burn off from the sun. Don't bother testing for it, just assume it's there as it can take up to week to fully register on a test.

But you don't have to wait the week before the CYA registers - once you add the cya to get it to the 30 mark then you can start adding bleach to reach the slam level for a cya of 30. Just don't bother testing for cya for a week because you will be wasting your reagents.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I tested the pH during lunch and it is still the same, > 8.2.

I ran the pump 5 hours total yesterday and it's been running since 7am CDT this morning. I went ahead and added half (10oz) of the suggested amount (20oz) of MA and I will test again when I get home from work. If it's still high, I will add the remaining 10oz. Any other suggestions? Is the pH just not holding due to the low TA?

On another note, instead of starting a new thread, can anyone ID the equipment needed for a backwash? I think this is the hose, but can anyone ID the other two pieces?

The first item in your photo is a flowkeeper valve used with Zodiac pool cleaners such as the Ranger. It has a flexible coupling on it that fits snugly into the skimmer. You can pull the coupling off and use it to connect a vacuum hose directly into the skimmer. Comes in handy if you ever need to drain below the skimmer. The middle picture is a discharge hose used for backwashing, waste, and draining. It is usually attached to a short 11/2 or 2" pipe with a ring clamp that tightens by turning a screw. The third item appears to be a type of check valve. If you look in both ends and one end has something that looks like a simple piston on a spring then it is a check valve.

If your CYA is zero, I would add enough stabilizer to get to a CYA level of 30. That will help your SLAM process from burn off from the sun. Don't bother testing for it, just assume it's there as it can take up to week to fully register on a test.

Does this mean I need to use the liquid stabilizer to get the quick CYA effect? From my reading in the pool school, the normal CYA is a solid and is just placed in a sock in the skimmer. Will that method give me enough CYA right off the bat to start the SLAM?

normal CYA is a solid and is just placed in a sock in the skimmer. Will that method give me enough CYA right off the bat to start the SLAM?
It is a powder but it does go in a sock in the skimmer. Yes, it gives you enough CYA to SLAM. Just assume you calculated your dosage of CYA correctly and don't bother to test for it until you finish the SLAM.

Keep SLAMMING away at it. If the chlorine drops, bring it back up! You have a very nice pool! Can't wait to see it sparkle!

I think it's also worth mentioning that it's probably a good idea to over shoot your FC shock target a bit, but no higher than mustard shock level. FC will drop from 10 almost immediately with an active algae bloom. This will prevent you from going under shock level as fast if you're not there to monitor and add more chlorine.

I think it's also worth mentioning that it's probably a good idea to over shoot your FC shock target a bit, but no higher than mustard shock level. FC will drop from 10 almost immediately with an active algae bloom. This will prevent you from going under shock level as fast if you're not there to monitor and add more chlorine.

Sounds like a plan considering this will be my last dose of bleach tonight. Mustard shock looks to be about 15 for a CYA of 25, so I'm going to go with 13.

On day 4 of the SLAM now, pics below. I do have a couple questions about other tests during the SLAM. I tested the pH (which I know is inaccurate) but it's reading well below 6.8. Is the test this inaccurate during the SLAM or is it just a little off? Also, I tested the TA and it's reading 40 right now. Should I add some baking soda now or wait until the SLAM process is done? I figure it might help the pH problem a bit as well if it is in fact low.

Day 1
22Apr14.jpg

Day 2
23Apr14.jpg

Day 3
24Apr14.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.