Question about DE safety

Nov 18, 2013
I just got a brand new hayward De4820 filter, and my wife and I were discussing DE - specifically the fact that there's food grade, and pool grade - and pool grade is known to be hazardous if ingested.

Her concern of course was that if it's hazardous when ingested, what happens if some of the DE is in the pool that people are swimming in? Does that DE in the water not irritate skin, eyes, etc and cause problems if water is swallowed? I know the reality is thatthere would be a ridiculously small concentration in the water if I use 6 lbs in my filter for a 12-15k gallon pool, but still, she's kind of an anxious person once she has an idea in her head, and Im not finding much info online about pool grade DE to put her at ease.

Also, I did see "fiber" mentioned in another theead, it seemed as an alternative to DE... does anyone know much about this? Is this simply a different media that can be used in "DE" filters?

DE is an inhalation hazard. It has microscopically sharp particles, like asbestos, that scar the lungs. Try "inhalation" in the search box and you'll find plenty of threads, and probably some good links to read. It isn't dangerous when it's wetted.

The replacement fiber is highly processed cellulose. Wood pulp. It's even used in food. It's very light and fluffy, and probably isn't good to inhale, either, but it's just superfine sawdust. It strongly resembles blown-in insulation. I use it. It filters well and I backwash onto the front lawn and the stuff just rots away since it's biodegradable. DE will pile up wherever its backwashed and then there's that dust problem again. If you search "fiberclear" you'll find some threads that discuss it.

I've just switched to FiberClear in my DE filter. The reason for the switch is I just wanted to try it out.
The thing with DE is you don't want to breath it in. When I charged my filter with it I made a slurry out of it and then slowly poured it in the skimmer. The only why you should get it in the pool is if you have a tear in one of the grids.

My understanding is that the risk of the DE is of concern with the lungs. You arent supposed to breath it as you pour it into the skimmer (or any other time for that matter). I would suspect any DE in the water that made it's way into your lungs would be of secondary importance if that were to happen, since you would have inhaled water along with it and in fact likely be drowning, or on the verge of it. :shock:

To my knowledge, there is no danger of it to the digestive tract if diluted in pool water.

Some of the other folks here have used the fibers. Im sure some will chime in soon.

There should be no DE in the water. When you add DE to the skimmers, watch the returns closely for about two minutes. Any DE getting past the filter will be visible as it comes out of the returns. Even if some gets in the water, it's not any sort of hazard. The fiber substitute is a good alternative if you don't want to use DE.

DE has a bulk density of about 48 ounces (volume) per pound. If a filter requires 6 pounds of DE, you would use about 9 quarts of DE or fiber.

The fiber is less dense, and therefore, the weight will be less but the volume will be the same.

Also, the bag of fiber has a chart showing the proper amount of fiber per square foot of filter area.

Edit- FiberClear says (2.5) 9 oz bags for a 60 square foot filter. Jacks Magic Filter Fiber Stuff says (5) 1 lb DE scoops for 60 square feet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.