I just got a brand new hayward De4820 filter, and my wife and I were discussing DE - specifically the fact that there's food grade, and pool grade - and pool grade is known to be hazardous if ingested.
Her concern of course was that if it's hazardous when ingested, what happens if some of the DE is in the pool that people are swimming in? Does that DE in the water not irritate skin, eyes, etc and cause problems if water is swallowed? I know the reality is thatthere would be a ridiculously small concentration in the water if I use 6 lbs in my filter for a 12-15k gallon pool, but still, she's kind of an anxious person once she has an idea in her head, and Im not finding much info online about pool grade DE to put her at ease.
Also, I did see "fiber" mentioned in another theead, it seemed as an alternative to DE... does anyone know much about this? Is this simply a different media that can be used in "DE" filters?