D.E. filter clogging with clean water and new grids.

Matt Ush

In The Industry
May 18, 2012
Hey team,
I service a good amount of D.E. filters throughout the season but this one is giving me trouble. Customer has a Hayward D.E. 6020 that had ongoing issues of clogging fast. The water is crystal clear, properly balanced based on TFP recommended levels, and last week I gutted the filter and replaced all the grids. It still has ongoing issues of clogging. It will run great at perfect pressure for 2 hours, then shoots up to over 30 psi and all flow stops. I took it apart and cleaned it again. There are no CCs in the water and no algae. No dirt, nothing. The grids do not hold water for more than a few seconds if I wash it with a hose indicating they are good. I took the filter off its multiport valve and no clogs are visible. If I switch to recirculate, everything is fine. What is going on here? Is it possible my D.E. has turned into a concrete like substance? Is it possible the multiport has something lodged inside it and it clogs the opening overtime while in filter mode? Help!

Well, if there is nothing in the water to clog it (however, just because you can't see it doesn't mean something is in your water.....what are your current test results?), then the answer has to be something mechanical.

If something is plugging it mechanically, you should be able to see that when it's disassembled.

I believe you have something in the water you can't see, but that is a guess. Test results may give us a clue.

Clogged impeller will not cause high pressure though, just a lack of flow. I would guess something in the return plumbing after the filter block the pipe, like a broken check valve or something. Although that would be pretty rare.

Possibly a scaled cell or heater. Although, if it works on recirculate, that would seem less likely. When the pressure goes to 30, I would disassemble the filter and check it then. The cell is an easy check, but the heater is a little more difficult.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.