Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: D.E. filter clogging with clean water and new grids.

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

D.E. filter clogging with clean water and new grids.

Hey team,
    I service a good amount of D.E. filters throughout the season but this one is giving me trouble. Customer has a Hayward D.E. 6020 that had ongoing issues of clogging fast. The water is crystal clear, properly balanced based on TFP recommended levels, and last week I gutted the filter and replaced all the grids. It still has ongoing issues of clogging. It will run great at perfect pressure for 2 hours, then shoots up to over 30 psi and all flow stops. I took it apart and cleaned it again. There are no CCs in the water and no algae. No dirt, nothing. The grids do not hold water for more than a few seconds if I wash it with a hose indicating they are good. I took the filter off its multiport valve and no clogs are visible. If I switch to recirculate, everything is fine. What is going on here? Is it possible my D.E. has turned into a concrete like substance? Is it possible the multiport has something lodged inside it and it clogs the opening overtime while in filter mode? Help!
    Inground Concrete Pool With Fiberglass Walls (20,000 Gallons), Hayward .75 Super Pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: D.E. filter clogging with clean water and new grids.

Well, if there is nothing in the water to clog it (however, just because you can't see it doesn't mean something is in your water.....what are your current test results?), then the answer has to be something mechanical.

If something is plugging it mechanically, you should be able to see that when it's disassembled.

I believe you have something in the water you can't see, but that is a guess. Test results may give us a clue.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Last thing to rule out is the pump. Could the impeller be clogged up?
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

4. Back To Top    #4

Clogged impeller will not cause high pressure though, just a lack of flow. I would guess something in the return plumbing after the filter block the pipe, like a broken check valve or something. Although that would be pretty rare.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Clogged impeller will not cause high pressure though, just a lack of flow.
    I focused on the lack of flow and missed the high pressure. Disregard my post above.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Keep in mind when I switch to recirculate, the system is fine. I will retest the chemicals on my next visit, but they were within the ideal range.
    Inground Concrete Pool With Fiberglass Walls (20,000 Gallons), Hayward .75 Super Pump, Hayward S200 Sand Filter, Pentair IntelliChlor IC40

7. Back To Top    #7

Possibly a scaled cell or heater. Although, if it works on recirculate, that would seem less likely. When the pressure goes to 30, I would disassemble the filter and check it then. The cell is an easy check, but the heater is a little more difficult.

8. Back To Top    #8

I would also open up the multiport valve and see if something is in it.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

Keep in mind when I switch to recirculate, the system is fine
    That simply bypasses the filter and has no bearing on your issue.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School