Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Jandy LXi Heater: Fault High Limit error

1. Back To Top    #1

Jandy LXi Heater: Fault High Limit error

Hello everyone, I am fairly new to pool care (had for just over a year). This week when trying our Lxi heater out (it is about a year old) I got a fault message of "High Limit" and the burners did not fire.

I have done some research and believe I know where the limit switch is located, how to test it, and how to replace. However I wanted to confirm with everyone before doing so.

As for the location I can see where the high limit runs behind the PIB to the outside of the heater, just want to confirm these are the only 2 I need to replace. I ordered a replacement R0023000 150deg high limit switch and a R0457200 130deg high limit switch to replace the 2 in the picture below.

IMG_2303.jpg

I pull the the limit switch out today and it was fairly corroded. I tried to clean it and put back but it is still throwing the error. I can hear water running through the pipes, so I assume it isn't a flow issue.

Anything else I should check or do? The plan right now is to just replace the 2 high limit switches and see if it fires up.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Jandy LXi Heater: Fault High Limit error

Welcome to TFP!

I would try putting a jumper across the questionable switches (one at a time) and see if the heater turns on.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

You will probably see something like this when you take it out:

IMG_1973.jpg

The high limit would be the right most limit.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

I am getting the high limit error on my Jandy LXi heater. I bought the replacement harness with switches for the Jandy Lxi. My thought was to shut off power to my heater and pump filter and then replace the harness. It seems that the front panel comes off with the turn of a screwdriver and the harness just feeds in from the side. I couldn't find any specific instructions. Is there anything special to be aware of or to do?

Thanks--

Al
    My Pool: IG 31k Gallon vinyl liner (41'x16' w/ 12'x16' "L" leg; avg depth 6' in main area, 3' in leg), Pentair IC40 SWG, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Pool-o-matic auto filler, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Taylor K1766 Salt Test, Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo VS (#342001) variable speed pump, Rheem/ Raypak 266A.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

You should be able to unscrew the limits and then pop them off the socket and screw them back in. Unless of course if the harness wire is totally shot then I guess you would want to replace the entire thing.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks! That worked, and when I got the panel off and followed the harness, it turned out to be more complicated than I thought. It snaked behind another panel with a lid attached with at least one screw. But, it was cheaper to buy the entire harness for about $38 than it was to buy the individual switches at $32 or so apiece. I didn't bother to check which was bad. I replaced both of them.

--Al
    My Pool: IG 31k Gallon vinyl liner (41'x16' w/ 12'x16' "L" leg; avg depth 6' in main area, 3' in leg), Pentair IC40 SWG, Polaris 380 Cleaner, Pool-o-matic auto filler, TF-100 Test Kit w/ Taylor K1766 Salt Test, Sand Filter, 1.5 HP Pentair SuperFlo VS (#342001) variable speed pump, Rheem/ Raypak 266A.

7. Back To Top    #7

Do the sensors just come right ou? I unscrewed the plastic nut hold in the high temp sensor but the sensor will not come out. I don't want brake something if I just keep pulling on it.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Sounds like it is rusted in place which happens alot. Hopefully you can wiggle it out.
    Paul

9. Back To Top    #9

Where did you find the location of the limit switches? I could not locate them, but, I did locate the exhaust limit switch I did find a small plate under the water input pipe, but, I have not opened it to see if it houses the 135/150 limit switches. I does not look large enough to hold them.?
    Laars LX400 heater, replace HI-Temp switches